cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32 f3xx flash read out protection and option bytes programming: Mysteries solved

ma.alam9
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2017 at 13:05

Hello All,

I have been trolling across several forums in order to be able to read protect my stm32f334 flash memory from within the code. I tried to use the hal functions provided in the stm32f3xx_hal_flash and 

stm32f3xx_hal_flash_ex files provided by the stm32cube in the exact sequence as stated in the driver files but was in no way successful. I could get through flash and option bytes unlocking and enabling the option bytes programming bit (OPTPG) byte upon writing the desired value to the designated option byte (RDP byte in my case in order to change the flash memory read protection level), i would get a PGERR bit set indicating that the programming was not successful because the location to be written was not erased.

Upon digging in a little more i found that Option bytes erasure was the step that was missed in the FLASH_OB_RDP_LevelConfig function of the hal. I also looked into the flash application example provided by the STMCube but it also had this problem.

So I added the erasure steps and finally got it all working. 

In a nutshell, this sequence involves:

1. Unlock flash (LOCK bit is reset) � it will only be reset by hardware itself upon writing two keys to the FLASH_KEYR.

2. Unlock option bytes (OPTWRE is set) - it will only be reset by hardware itself upon writing two keys to the FLASH_OPTKEYR.

� wait until flash is ready

3. Erase option bytes by setting OPTER bit and after that STRT bit

4. After the erasure is complete, reset the OPTER bit

5. Set the OPTPG bit to allow programming option bytes

6. Write the data (half word) to the desired address

7. Reset the OPTPG bit to complete/close programming option bytes

8. Launch/Apply the Option bytes (OBL_LAUNCH bit is set-system reset will be performed after this) � This step can be skipped as the option bytes will automatically load upon next reset.

9. Lock option bytes (OPTWRE is reset)

10. Lock the Flash (LOCK bit is set)

A more or less pseudo code is as follows:

if((READ_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_LOCK)) != RESET)

{

/* Authorize the FLASH Registers access */

WRITE_REG(FLASH->KEYR, FLASH_KEY1);

WRITE_REG(FLASH->KEYR, FLASH_KEY2);

}

if((READ_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_OPTWRE)) == RESET)

{

/* Authorizes the Option Byte register programming */

WRITE_REG(FLASH->OPTKEYR, FLASH_OPTKEY1);

WRITE_REG(FLASH->OPTKEYR, FLASH_OPTKEY2);

}

FLASH->CR |= FLASH_CR_OPTER;

FLASH->CR |= FLASH_CR_STRT;

FLASH->CR &= ~FLASH_CR_OPTER;

SET_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_OPTPG);

WRITE_REG(OB->RDP, ReadProtectLevel);

Or

*(__IO uint16_t*)Address = Data;

CLEAR_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_OPTPG);

SET_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_OBL_LAUNCH);

CLEAR_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_OPTWRE);

SET_BIT(FLASH->CR, FLASH_CR_LOCK);

The same procedure must be followed to bring down the read protection level from level 1 to level 0.

The data to be written at the RDP byte (address: 0x1ffff800) for the different protection levels is:

Level 0 : 0xAA

Level 1: 0xBB (anything except 0xAA and 0xCC)

Level 2: 0xCC

Note: That a flash wide mass erase will automatically be performed upon bringing down the read protection level from level 1 to level 0.

Note Stronger: That there is no turning back from level 2.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Asrar

#read-protection #stm32 #stm32f3 #stm32cube #stm32f334 #flash-memory-read-protection
3 REPLIES 3
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on February 28, 2017 at 16:57

Hi

Alam.Muhammad_Asrar

The idea behind the STM32 forum (and any other forum I think) is to look for help and share experiences/solutions.soThank you for posting your findings,It may be helpful for someone else facing same issue.

-Nesrine-

hpipon957
Associate III

Hi All

I have published the following video discussing and demonstrating STM32F429 (similar or the same for various other parts too) Flash Option programming and operation, focusing on Flash Sector Write protection and the Flash Read-out protection - a very important aspect in many products: https://youtu.be/IN_U7QsYQlc

Regards

Mark

hpipon957
Associate III

Hi All

I have published the following video discussing and demonstrating STM32F429 (similar or the same for various other parts too) Flash Option programming and operation, focusing on Flash Sector Write protection and the Flash Read-out protection - a very important aspect in many products: https://youtu.be/IN_U7QsYQlc

Regards

Mark