cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm building a stm32f042 HID device/product, what are my options for updating it 'out in the wild'?

gates.nathan
Associate III
Posted on December 17, 2016 at 20:41

The device uses the onboard USB capabilities of the stm32f042 and acts as a HID device.

I trying to find the best way to update the device when it is out in the wild, what are my options for doing this?

I would want this to happen over the usb connection im already using.

Ive looked into DFU: but I cant find a solution that doesn't involve the installation of drivers and is cross-platform.

Is there any tried and tested way of doing this or a solution im just unaware of?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nathan

#dfu #usb #update
2 REPLIES 2
Seb
ST Employee
Posted on December 17, 2016 at 21:33

Some STM32 have a USB bootloader which is activated when the user flash is blank. How about erasing the flash by HID command when it is time to update it with an ST tool?

Another option would be to switch to mass storage and dump the new flash content as a file (no specific USB driver needed). Virtual Com port is another way....

Posted on December 18, 2016 at 05:51

Hi Seb

I need to make the process really seamless and I cant find a way to do the DFU bootload that is simple and cross platform, the aim is to to do it via batch file on windows (which i do but requires installation of a driver), bash script on OSX and Linux but I can find a dfu-util that doesnt require drivers or dependency installations. Unless I have missed something?

The device will be for the general public so no nitty-gritty.

Could you please explain to me the second two methods with a bit more detail and point me to examples if possible?

thanks