Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STM32F303RE 64-pin 4 SPIs?

benjaminbrammer9
Associate II
Posted on September 19, 2016 at 19:07

Hi!

As i was searching for a STM32 with 4 SPI peripherals I stumbeld across the STM32F303RE. After consulting the manual, I am a bit confused: The webdescription and Feature list tells me, that there are 4 SPIs on all different 64-pin to 144-pin packages. But when I check the pinout description in the datasheet only 100 and 144-pin packages provide SPI1-4 capability. So what is wrong here? the datasheet or the overal description?

Basically I want the small sized 4 SPI package. But is it now 64 or 100?

best regards

Benjamin

#spi #stm32f303re
5 REPLIES 5
Posted on September 19, 2016 at 19:22

So what is wrong here?

Expectations? Up to 4 covers a lot of sins. The datasheet covers a die placed in multiple packages, your escape options for peripherals diminish with the pin count, and not everything can escape, even with maximal pins. The UFBGA100 is *smaller* than the LQFP64, but makes the board/manufacturing more complicated.

The data-sheet is the controlling document for pins/functions. The data-sheet may cover several part variants.

http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/products/microcontrollers/stm32-32-bit-arm-cortex-mcus/stm32f3-series/stm32f303/stm32f303re.html

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
benjaminbrammer9
Associate II
Posted on September 19, 2016 at 21:09

Yes, the BGA version is smaller than the LQFP one. But my initial question is stil unanswered. When you check the pin definitions ( table 13, page 41 and so on), it is clear that the 64-pin version doesn't support 4 SPIs but table 2 on page 12 tells that it does. So what is right? Or am I understanding here something wrong?

best regards

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on September 20, 2016 at 10:31

Hi brammer.benjamin,

Table 2 provides the list of peripherals in STM32F303Rx, STM32F303Vx and STM32F303Zx based on the biggest package. Then you have to check depending on pins availability to know which peripherals are there.

In the 64-pin packages, only 3 SPIs (SPI1-3) are available.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.

benjaminbrammer9
Associate II
Posted on September 20, 2016 at 10:46

thanks, that was what I wanted to know, allthough I think it's a bit strange, since Table 2 also shows the limitations per package according to some peripherals. I don't see where the problem would be to change the SPI row depending on the package type , since there are different columns for each package, so that there would be no mix up with the later pin definitions.

thanks anyway! 🙂

Amel NASRI
ST Employee
Posted on September 20, 2016 at 10:49

I agree this is confusing and we may provide precision that only 3 SPIs are available in STM32F303Rx packages.

-Mayla-

To give better visibility on the answered topics, please click on Accept as Solution on the reply which solved your issue or answered your question.