Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CubeMX Upgrate FreeRTOS from 8.xx to V9

juliuscaesar
Associate III
Posted on November 06, 2016 at 23:11

Hey guys,

I used CubeMX to generate a setupcode for my STM32F4 Discovery board. When I began my work, i noticed that the FreeRTOS Version used by Cube MX is an old one.

Do you know when V9 would be supported by Cube MX?

Or is there're another way to upgrade FreeRtos from V8 to V9?

V9 comes with some important new features, like static threads and queues;)

greets Julian
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FCR
Associate III
Posted on February 04, 2017 at 15:28

Hi,

Just for information (current status):

- In currentCubeMx 4.19, FreeRTOS v9 issupported on F3 /F7 /L0 series.

- In CubeMx 4.20 (next version to come): adding FreeRTOS v9 support on F4 (and possibly other series as well; porting on-going).

As for the question about the difference between the ST and FreeRTOS releases, mainly in the ST version, we use an abstraction layer, the CMSIS API (see

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkdieSAB

), meaning the calls / the objects found in FW pack examples or in CubeMx generated code will be typically things prefixed by 'os'.

- delivery based on the official v9 release, adding CMSIS layer (in cmsis_os.c and cmsis_os.h files)

Regards

Fred

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Nesrine M_O
Lead II
Posted on November 07, 2016 at 10:22

Hi Julian,

The FreeRTOS Version used by Cube MX is the same version used on HAL library V8.2.3

I will raise your request to our team about V9 support planning.

-Syrine-

Barry.Richard
Associate III
Posted on November 07, 2016 at 16:02

As a temporary work around, the

http://www.freertos.org/FreeRTOS-V9.html

notes it is backward compatible, so once your project is created, you should be able to copy the V9 files over the top of the V8.x files before building (assuming the V8 files don't have any ST specific updates).
juliuscaesar
Associate III
Posted on November 07, 2016 at 23:10

thx guys for your fast replay.

I'll stick to working with V8 than and once the CubeMX supports V9 i'll update to this newer version 🙂

Could you give me any hint how long it takes to implement this (assuming the STM Team accepts this suggestion). Would we be talking about, weeks or months?
stm32cube-t
Senior III
Posted on November 08, 2016 at 11:31

Dear Julian,

The support of FreeRTOS v9 should come in STM32CubeMX January version.

Best regards

Posted on December 28, 2016 at 21:03

I'm also interested in this. Do you have any idea if this is still planned for January?

Also, do we have any indication of the extent of changes between the ST and FreeRTOS release? I'm wondering if it would be feasible to migrate the changes from the version include with the HAL libraries to the FreeRTOS release. I'm guessing not feasible but I don't think it hurts to ask. (For my purposes this is in an STM32F7 and includes LwIP as well.)

Thanks!

FCR
Associate III
Posted on February 04, 2017 at 15:28

Hi,

Just for information (current status):

- In currentCubeMx 4.19, FreeRTOS v9 issupported on F3 /F7 /L0 series.

- In CubeMx 4.20 (next version to come): adding FreeRTOS v9 support on F4 (and possibly other series as well; porting on-going).

As for the question about the difference between the ST and FreeRTOS releases, mainly in the ST version, we use an abstraction layer, the CMSIS API (see

https://community.st.com/0D50X00009XkdieSAB

), meaning the calls / the objects found in FW pack examples or in CubeMx generated code will be typically things prefixed by 'os'.

- delivery based on the official v9 release, adding CMSIS layer (in cmsis_os.c and cmsis_os.h files)

Regards

Fred

juliuscaesar
Associate III
Posted on February 05, 2017 at 14:28

Hey Fred,

thx for your update

Unfortunately i'm using a stm32f429 MCU so i will have to wait some time.

hbarta2
Associate III
Posted on February 06, 2017 at 13:31

Thank you for the information. It would be useful to include this in the release notes as well. (

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/release_note/b2/02/4b/e3/81/32/49/c4/DM00107607.pdf/files/DM00107607.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.DM00107607.pdf

)

best,

hank

FCR
Associate III
Posted on March 07, 2017 at 11:45

Hi Julian,

Just for your information: CubeMx 4.20 now available for download comes with FreeRTOS v9 support on F4 and L4 series (as mentioned, page 9 of the Release Notes, showing middleware updates happening in that 4.20 version).

Regards,

Fred