Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for embedded (DFU) bootloader start address STM32F4 Discovery

tajones92
Associate
Posted on September 26, 2016 at 08:18

Hi all:

Newbie here.  I've found myself in a situation where I would really benefit from having a backup binary of the default embedded ST bootloader (strictly not looking for source as that isn't offered and I'm okay with that).  From what I understand the bootloader app is just sitting in the vendor memory somewhere.  Is there anything stopping me from finding the start and end addresses and reading the data contained out to a terminal and generating a binary this way?  Let me know if I'm operating under some crazy assumptions.   

If anyone is curious I'm working on an application where the device would be exposed to a fairly small level of radiation.  I'd like to be able to hold a copy of the bootloader in external memory and reflash periodically to protect it from the odd single event upset.

Thanks very much.

#!stm32-!bootloader
2 REPLIES 2
Walid FTITI_O
Senior II
Posted on September 26, 2016 at 11:22

Hi jones.toby,

You will find a response and more about STM32's USB DFU in the

http://www.st.com/content/ccc/resource/technical/document/application_note/6a/17/92/02/58/98/45/0c/CD00264379.pdf/files/CD00264379.pdf/jcr:content/translations/en.CD00264379.pdf

-Hannibal-
Posted on September 26, 2016 at 13:50

The System Loader is in ROM/OTP, so your ability to reprogram it will be limited. The ROM address is described in the manuals, 0x1FFF0000 as I recall. Reads like regular memory, so ST-LINK Utilities can pull, as can your own code, or debugger.

Tips, buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..