Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clarification about the use of NAND FLASH - STM32F4

zampierigabriele
Associate II
Posted on October 24, 2016 at 22:31

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to STM32 world. I switched to STM32 for their performance and capability, more in detail becouse i need to drive TFT panel in a fluid way. My current project should include the possibility to connect the board to PC via USB and see the board as ''removeable disk'' (such as USB drive) where i can put files (image, mp3, txt) and the MCU can write on it (logs). I choose to use a NAND Flash (SLC) but during the design phase I'm getting some trouble: I never interfaced with this technology, luckily my MCU (F429ZI) has a FMC and with CubeMX help I should be able to make all working togheter. Now my problem: I found that i can't use the Flash directly as a FAT disk, but I need a translation layer (wear levelling). I found a document on ST site (DM00091013) that give guidelines on how to deal with this technology, it also says that is valid for my MCU, but as far as i can read from datasheet the MCU doesn't have the FSMC.

I'm looking for examples/application notes that can clarify me about how to implement this translation layer and maybe using FATFs to interact with the Flash, or any other way to achieve the task.

I hope i expressed myself in the best possible way, thank you in advance,

Gabriele

#fatfs #fsmc #fmc #nand
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on October 25, 2016 at 03:46

FMC has all the capabilities of FSMC (and adds SDRAM to it).

JW

slimen
Senior
Posted on October 25, 2016 at 11:26

Hello,

I advise you in a first step to check some useful examples inside the STM32CubeF4 firmware package, at this path:

STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.13.0\Projects\STM324xG_EVAL\Examples\FSMC

Regards
zampierigabriele
Associate II
Posted on October 27, 2016 at 16:02

Thanks to both of you!

Gabriele