Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with demonstration software on STM32F469IDISCOVERY

livio
Associate II
Posted on November 05, 2016 at 15:52

Hi

when I buy the board, STM32F469IDISCOVERY, the demonstration software works correctly.

Now I try lo load again this demo, I download the STM32CubeF4 1.13.0 , with SW4ST32 I try to install again, but many of the images are displayed not correctly, see attached image.

If I touch the screen it works but only few images are ok many others not.

I clean the project and build again, the SW4ST32b is updated.

Someone can explain to my why?

Thank you
3 REPLIES 3
Posted on November 07, 2016 at 13:14

If you take a look at

C:\Users\->your username<-\STM32Cube\Repository\STM32Cube_FW_F4_V1.13.0\Projects\STM32469I-Discovery\Demonstrations\Binary

you will notice that the hex file has ~24MB, impossible to fit inside the Flash of the uC. But the Images used in the demo do not fit just inside the internal Flash of the uC. Somehow, and i am also curious about this feature, data segments of the Programm code can be stored in external Flash (NAND or QSPI seem to be possible) and programmed during the Flash process of the uC Flash. I noticed this with the STM32F746-disco board, because flashing the board took too Long to Flash just 1-2 MB internal Flash. And the lack of Images also showed that there was something missing in demo V1.0. It was fixed with a newer Version. I hope  ST can give some appnotes to this Feature.

Best regards,

Markus Horbach.

Posted on November 07, 2016 at 13:32

From the readme.txt of the STM32F746G-Disco :

The QSPI external flash loader is not integrated with supported toolchains, it’s only supported with STM32

ST-Link Utility V3.9

To load the demonstration, use STM32 ST-Link Utility to program both internal Flash and external QSPI memory.

To edit and debug the demonstration you need first to program the external QSPI memory using STLink utility

and then use your preferred toolchain to update and debug the internal flash content.

In order to program the demonstration you must do the following:

1- Open STM32 ST-Link Utility V3.9, click on ''External Loader'' from the bar menu then check

''N25Q128A_STM32F746G-DISCO'' box

2- Connect the STM32746G-DISCOVERY board to PC with USB cable through CN14

3- Use ''STM32CubeDemo_STM32746G-DISCO_V1.1.2.hex'' file provided under “Binary� with STM32 ST-Link Utility

to program both internal Flash and external QSPI memory

4- copy the audio and video files provided under ''Utilities/Media/'' in the USB key

5- Plug a USB micro A-Male to A-Female cable on CN12 connector

-> The internal Flash and the external QSPI are now programmed and the demonstration is shown on the board.

In order to Edit and debug the program, you must do the following

- if not done, perform step 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 described above,

- Open your preferred toolchain,

- Use the IDE to update and load the internal flash content,

- Run the Demonstration.
livio
Associate II
Posted on November 08, 2016 at 19:16

Thank you

I will try.

Livio