Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum output current value of PWM, TIM

Ken Inoue
Associate III
Posted on September 16, 2017 at 18:18

Sorry for my poor English.

What is the maximum output current value of PWM using TIM? Where can I find it in the data sheet? I am using STM32F334. I am investigating whether the MOSFET can be directly driven by the PWM from the microcomputer without the gate driver.

On page 78/121 of the data sheet of STM32F334x4 STM32F334x6 STM32F334x8, the following description was given

0690X00000608GvQAI.png

Is IIO=8mA, 20mA the PWM maximum output current value? Which is 8 mA or 20 mA?

Best Regards,

Ken Inoue

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Posted on September 16, 2017 at 21:15

Hi Ken

>>>I am investigating whether the MOSFET can be directly driven by the PWM

Driving MOSFETs its not a static condition to make calculations with currents only.  MOSFET's Gate has very high Ohmic resistance. Load Capacitance of Gate, and Frequency are the main factors to decide to drive a MOSFET (also min GateSource threshold voltage must be <VCC)

In dynamic conditions like you described , the appropriate table of DataSheet to look at, is

0690X00000608H9QAI.png

Regards

vf

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Posted on September 16, 2017 at 18:40

It's a CONDITION, that impacts the high/low voltage outputs. ie you draw more current the further VOL gets from zero

Look at the current tables, with max per pin, and max total across all pins.

Tips, Buy me a coffee, or three.. PayPal Venmo
Up vote any posts that you find helpful, it shows what's working..
Posted on September 16, 2017 at 21:15

Hi Ken

>>>I am investigating whether the MOSFET can be directly driven by the PWM

Driving MOSFETs its not a static condition to make calculations with currents only.  MOSFET's Gate has very high Ohmic resistance. Load Capacitance of Gate, and Frequency are the main factors to decide to drive a MOSFET (also min GateSource threshold voltage must be <VCC)

In dynamic conditions like you described , the appropriate table of DataSheet to look at, is

0690X00000608H9QAI.png

Regards

vf

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 03:03

Dear

Mr./Ms. 

Clive One

Thank you for your reply. 

You mean that as more current flows, Vol increases. 

Best Regards,

Ken Inoue

Posted on September 18, 2017 at 03:07

Dear 

Mr./Ms. 

Vangelis Fortounas

Thank you for your reply. 

The MOSFET I use can be driven at 2.5 V, Ciss = 15 pF. And I want to operate the MOSFET at around 100 kHz. Therefore it seems possible to drive without gate driver.

Best Regards,

Ken Inoue