cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Windows 10 x64] CubeMX updater deleted executable

parsec
Associate III
Posted on March 20, 2017 at 08:40

I tried to update STM32CubeMX yesterday to V4.20 using the built in updater (via Check Update Manager). After files were downloaded the update process started normally. Right after installation appeared to have completed I got an error message about permission problems with the installation folder, including some cryptic message about '...run CubeMX as administrator next time to terminate', or something to that extent. Not really sure what I was supposed to 'terminate', just a case of poor English? At any rate, I clicked away the error message and closed everything but unfortunately could not start CubeMX at all because STM32CubeMX.exe had been deleted from C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\STM32Cube\STM32CubeMX\.

I had to re-download the 4.20 package and install from scratch to get going again. Even using this method the permission error message popped up again, despite that the installer is automatically elevated to administrator when started. This time I just clicked cancel and resumed using CubeMX as normal.

5 REPLIES 5
Imen.D
ST Employee
Posted on March 22, 2017 at 17:41

Hi,

I will report your feedback internally to our CubeMx team.

Can you please share  the STM32CubeMX.log file that you find under your user directory in the .stm32cubemx folder.

Imen

When your question is answered, please close this topic by clicking "Accept as Solution".
Thanks
Imen
Posted on March 23, 2017 at 10:12

Attached, although I think the problematic installation log was overwritten when I did the fresh install.

STM32CubeUpdater.log also attached, this one looks to be from the failed installation.

Attachments :

STM32CubeMX.log.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006HyjX&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bC6%2F.DNIhE1Q_fZznAQZycT19LdV1HnBk01eWEgOVJPqRfc&asPdf=false

STM32CubeUpdater.log.zip : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Hy7N&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bC8%2FtyWTz1ewjA4Rq.JgXMDUi2M4E4GDyoAevoKlmHPH9pU&asPdf=false
Posted on July 07, 2017 at 10:02

Hello

Vazic.Relko

Thank you for your feedback,

Looking at the updater log, I can see that Os type 1 is well detected.

So the updater recognize a windows machine.

Then I can see that the source path is:

C:\Users\<redacted>/.stm32cubemx/plugins/updater//loadedSoftware/

Does that path exist on your machine ?

I am just curious about a user name like '<redacted>'. Could you test, into a command prompt, the followinf command:

'cd \Users\<redacted>/.stm32cubemx/plugins/updater//loadedSoftware/'

This just to be sure windows recognise the s[ecial caracters '<' and '>' in the user name.

Kind regards

Sirma

Posted on July 07, 2017 at 10:27

Hello Sirma.Siang,

The <redacted> user is a made-up user, this entire string is normally my Windows account user name which is valid. (redacted means '

censor or obscure (part of a text) for legal or security purposes.

')

To answer your question, yes doing a cd works, the folder exists. It's been a few months since I posted this and successive STM32CubeMX updates went without any issues. Not sure what happened on that particular occasion but whatever it was has not repeated itself.

Posted on July 07, 2017 at 16:56

Hello

Vazic.Relko

Some updater updates have probably solved your issue.

I am glad to read that it is now working fine in your side.

Kind regards

Sirma