Associate II
Posted on April 25, 2003 at 07:16

ST72141

3 REPLIES 3
vialchrys1
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 10:16

Hi!

I have some questions regarding the ST72141 micro.

I am developing a control board for BLDC compressor motor, using this micro and the Kanda kit. My questions are the following:

1) In order to not allow reading the firmware on the micro (piracy protection), is it possible to lock the device?

2) Is it possible using the ICP or ISP for this micro?

I am waiting for your feedback.

vialchrys2
Associate II

Hello

Please find here below the answer to your questions:

1: There is no option byte to protect the device in the ST72141. In Fact there is no option bit at all.

2: Normally, you cannot do ISP with ST72141 but try it by adding external hardware from JTAG pin.

Best Regards

gianfranco2
Associate II

Hello,

I would like to add some comments about the choc’s answers. They are the following:

1)In my opinion, you can develop your application with ST72141 EPROM version. After, you can use ST72141 ROM version for the production. In fact, using the ROM version is possible lock the device, that is, to not allow reading the firmware on the micro (piracy protection). Please, look at the ROM option argument pointed out on the datasheet.

2)No, it is. Only with JTAG pin by adding external hardware.

The power board of Kanda kit is not enough to develop a compressor application. So, I suggest to use EVAL6386 board (AN1315) as power board. Moreover, you can get the AN1238, “3-PHASE REFRIGERATOR COMPRESSOR CONTROL WITH THE ST72141 MCU�. Enclosed with this application note it is possible to get the firmware example for a three phase BLDC motor (6 poles or 4 poles).

Regards

dimarcog