donald
Associate II
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 10:55

RVDK -S or -asm option. fromelf --text option

3 REPLIES 3
donald
Associate II
Posted on February 12, 2006 at 11:37

I am trying to get assembly language listing from C compiler without having to load code into a target as our target hardware does not support the debugger fully.

The RVDK compiler reference manual suggests a -S option for this but that is not recognised by the compiler. I also tried --asm which was the command line flag for other arm versions.

Then ''fromelf'' says it will produce dissassembly (and the ST RVDK brochure makes a point of this - see below) but it seems to ignore the --text option so you can't get important information or dissassembly out of this either.

The compiler produces a proprietry .axf variation so you can not use other tools to get this information.

Can ST or anyone else explain exactly how RVDK is cut down from the full vesions and how are we meant to analyse a .axf file to see if all is how we want it?

In the brochure 1108572077.pdf from ST it says

''Input file information display, e.g. disassembly output

or symbol listings.''

But this seems not to be the case.

Does any one have fixes for these non compliance issues ?

donald
Associate II
Posted on February 13, 2006 at 21:06

If you are suggesting ''compile - link - binary - decompile'' then this does not help much. The binary contains no labels or information about what is data or code so the dissassembly is extremely difficult to use. How would I find fucntion fred() in such a dissassembly. How would the dissassmbler know the difference between data and instructions, arm and thumb.

Secondly I would still have to find a decompile tool. There is an old arm product issued free for non commercial use but we are not non commercial.

Thank you for offering your assistance but it does not address the requirement.

Thanks.

agarcia
Associate II
Posted on May 29, 2006 at 07:25

Hello Donald. I have the same problem but not answer until now. Have you found any solution?