floydlee
Associate II
Posted on June 25, 2003 at 06:53

Atlas Keyboard clock line problem

6 REPLIES 6
floydlee
Associate II
Posted on February 27, 2003 at 11:46

We have a keyboard issue on our new Atlas based controller board.

Using TinyBIOS once the board is booted to either DOS or Linux. Within a a minute or so of simply typing characters at the keyboard the keyboard will hang.

I have tracked this down to the Atlas pulling the keyboard clock line low. This of course disables further keyboard use. Once this condition occurs simply sending the enable keyboard clock commands does not correct the problem.

I have also used General Systems BIOS and that BIOS works properly. So it seems General is perhaps setting some registers differently than TinyBIOS.

I would appreciate any suggestions that might help us out with this problem.

thierry239955_st
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2003 at 15:54

Some source code doesn't wait for acknowledge after sending a command to the keyboard controller as it is normaly required.

It is working with most of the keyboard controllers but could be a problem with the STPC Atlas.

I suggest you to take a look on the chapter 8.3 of the BIOS writer's guide v2.5a available on this site.

Maybe the keyboard is not well initialize because of this?

floydlee
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2003 at 18:40

I looked over that section and also noticed that ST has drivers for win95,98,CE and Linux. But those are aps that would need their keyboard driver corrected.

The problem I seem to be having occurs at the DOS prompt and or Linux command shell (not under X windows).

I suspect my problem is something else. Linux doesn't call the BIOS since it has it's own drivers. Yet (booting from TinyBIOS) after a minute or so (hitting keys) the Atlas will pull the keyboard clock low and keep it held until I reboot. Booting from General works ok under Linux.

The part about not having the keyboard initialized properly (by the BIOS) could well be the problem. Thats the part I'm hoping someone might have the key to solving this problem.

[ This message was edited by: Floyd on 28-02-2003 23:12 ]
kwilbern
Associate
Posted on March 20, 2003 at 13:53

Have you contacted Pascal at

mailto:pdornier@pcengines.ch

? He wrote TINY BIOS. He mentioned to me that there is a fix on the SPTC site that mentions the keyboard problem and a work around.
pcw
Associate
Posted on April 28, 2003 at 22:24

We had the same problem with our BIOS, but fixed it by setting the ISA clock = 14.318 MHz/2 (config reg 50). Config reg 59 LSB should be 0 also...

roger2399
Associate II
Posted on June 25, 2003 at 06:53

Thanks BitRot!

We use TinyBIOS, and I found out that configuring with ASYNC_ISA

(affects the result in the way you suggest) solved our problem.