Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2007 at 17:47

Write/Erase Cycle of EEPROM

2 REPLIES 2
mailtoarup
Associate II
Posted on December 09, 2006 at 05:10

Dear Sir,

This is in connection with Erase/write cycle of I2C serial eeprom 24CXX.

I have an ST72f264 based application which requires me to update serial eeprom(say,24c08) at every 1 sec and i have to write 16 bytes of data(Page Write).

Now the question is :

the erase/write cycle is approx 1Million cycle.

Is it true for each location or full device.Wht i mean to say is if i write single byte then erase/write cycle will be counted for that particular location only or it will be counted for full device location ??

My concern is in that case it can be used for few days only(not even 1 yr).

Pls can anybody help in how to maximize the use eeprom.

regards,

arup

sisto
Associate II
Posted on January 02, 2007 at 17:47

Hi Arup,

This is a limit of every eerom memory cell and is caused by the progressive gate pollution of the the cell of memory sink of the associated MOS.

Due the high upgrade frequency, Your application problem is hard to solve, but I have found one acceptable solution to a similar problem, implementing an eerom circular data file pointed by a pointer it self located in eerom.

This means that if You have a 1024 Bytes eerom You can realize e 63x16 bytes circular file (16 bytes eerom space reserved for file pointer) so you have a 63 million erase/write cycles file.

With every second recording rate, making some arithmetical operations it results out that the maximum exploitation of the eerom will be in approximately 1,9 years of recordings.

I do not know if it's enough for You, but I think that is not logical to make more than this and would be better to find an other solution.

Sisto