Associate II
Posted on May 11, 2004 at 04:59

Flash Programming

6 REPLIES 6
shermantec
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:35

Hello All ,

I am using the ST92F150 Family and i need to know if I can run a program from one point on the flash that will program

another point of the flash ?

Latino from Israel
siegmund
Associate II

Hi Latino!

that isn't possible.

your program has to be executed from another kind of memory to program the flash, e.g. the eeprom or the xram.

greets
ritu
Associate II

Hi Latino,

Perhaps you are talking about IAP. In which case you can use one portion (sector) of the flash to program another portion of the flash.

The programming sector has the bootloader and the program and this sector should be same as the one with the reset vector.

Ritu
shweta_arora
Associate II

hello,

actually i want to use iap in my s/w to program /erase at three different positions.i also want to retrieve the data that is written.

could you jst explain me the way out,& send the related documents.

i am using st7flite02 controllers.

regards

shweta
kapil
Associate II

Ritu i believe it is not possible to program any sector of flash, sitting in any other sector of same flash, for this we have to copy our program in Ram first and then do it from there.

ritu
Associate II

Hello,

Its true that instruction fetch from flash and programming (write / erase operation) can't go simultaneoulsy. So to program one sector of flash from another sector of flash a bootloader is required to be put in the same sector as the reset vector so that its the first to get executed on reset and it sets up RS-232 serial communication intrface to receive data (hex-file) from PC and initializes flash. and then invokes functions to write or erase flash (located in ram). As once the programming starts no more instruction can be fetched from flash.

You can find the detailed infirmation in AN 1275 attached with this message.

Rds,

Ritu