christian2
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2003 at 08:04

STPC

6 REPLIES 6
christian2
Associate II
Posted on July 14, 2003 at 14:24

I want to know whether the STPC can be the desired product about the following requirements:

1. USB

2. Compact Flash,

3. PCI controller

4. LCD

5. Ethernet 100Mbs

6. Serial ports

7. Video and sound (AC97)

Is the STPC can be the best product to satisfy the requirements of my project?

Best regards

Christian
thierry239955_st
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2003 at 07:53

What is your requirement in term of CPU processing (any video coding, decoding or other CPU comsuming task?) and power consumption?

Farfalla

christian2
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2003 at 10:17

A powerful CPU, a low power consumption, with or no video decoder would be fine. I need to control a graphic flat panel (LCD) with this development board.

thierry239955_st
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2003 at 10:57

STPCs with 486 (the STPC Atlas in your case) would be OK to drive a user interface, even complex, but without intensive data processing (no MPEG decoding etc...) except if you add external component for the processing. AC97 decoding should be OK but without expect too much activities in parallel. It also depend on the quality you would like.

The STPC Vega would be more appropriate if you need CPU processing but you will need external chips for graphics and video.

The power consumption is OK with a wired power supply (STPC Vega is even designed for low power) but not if your system use batteries.

Concerning the contend of the product, the STPC Atlas cover all your requirement except sound and ethernet which could be easily set on PCI (like a standard PC architecture). Compact flash can be set on IDE, it use the same ATAPI standard. The integrated USB is a host (won't work if you need an USB device).

Your list of requirement is typical to the type of applications targeted by STPCs.

Farfalla

[ This message was edited by: Farfalla on 15-07-2003 14:36 ]
christian2
Associate II
Posted on July 15, 2003 at 12:09

Thnak you, i think that the STPC VEGA can be the good product to respect the requirements.

Is there any development board available and what's the price? Also, you said that there is no display controller... Is there any graphic controller on the development board?

About the USB host, i need to connect the STPC product to the PC USB port. So, would i need to add an USB device chip? I would like to have the opportunity to have the following USB option (USB host or device)

Regards
thierry239955_st
Associate II
Posted on July 23, 2003 at 08:04

You need an external USB device controller for your connection to a PC. For the host, you can use the internal one. It exist some cable to connect two host together (in fact two USB bus with a bridge from a device to a device) but I think it is expensive.

There is also a new standard called USB OTG (On-The-Go). With USB OTG you will be able to switch from host to device with the same controller. It is very new and I'm not sure it is possible to find a chip.

It is difficult to find an USB device controller for PCI as PC platform is usually host. You will probably need to connect the controller to the local bus or ISA.

The STPC Vega development board is not available yet. It won't go with a graphics card but you will be able to connect one on a PCI slot. If you look for a graphics chipset adapted to the embedded market, you can take a look here:

http://www.siliconmotion.com

Farfalla