Associate II
Posted on August 06, 2009 at 09:51

USB-FS-Driver and Standard Peripheral Library

7 REPLIES 7
mvi
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:19

Hi,

I was working on a project last year involving the STM32F103CB. It included the use of HSI, USB, USART and Low Power Modes. Keil uVision2 was used. With the help of the USB Firmware Library (UM0424 Rev2), the Firmware Library (UM0427 Rev2) and help from the forum, I was able to complete the project well.

We have decided to upgrade the product, switch to the STM32F102CB and use Keil uVision3. I have noticed that the Firmware Libraries have since changed. I love the new CMSIS and the chm file. Nice work ST!

I got some questions.

1) Does anyone know of any documentation of updating uVision3 to the new standard peripheral library (or checking whether its up-to-date)?

2) The old USB firmware library contained a driver (.inf file) for windows which I had to modify. I can't seem to locate this in the new library. Is this changed? Where can I find the driver?

3) The USB in the old project was setup as a Virtual COM Port for windows. I didn't encounter any problems running on the HSI. I saw on the FAQ section that this is no longer recommended. My hardware is currently setup for the HSI to be used. Any ideas on a work around? Is it possible to run at USB low-speed (1.5 MBit/s)?

Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: mvi on 30-07-2009 16:19 ]

mvi
Associate II

Anyone? :o

-Mad

16-32micros
Associate III

Quote:

1) Does anyone know of any documentation of updating uVision3 to the new standard peripheral library (or checking whether its up-to-date)?

In the new Library 3.1.0 :

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/support/micro/files/stm32f10x_stdperiph_lib.zip

, there is already template files for RVMDK/uVision3 that you can use for updating your code. In addition you can refer to AN2953 : How to migrate from the STM32F10xxx firmware library V2.0.3 to the STM32F10xxx standard peripheral library V3.x.x.

Quote:

2) The old USB firmware library contained a driver (.inf file) for windows which I had to modify. I can't seem to locate this in the new library. Is this changed? Where can I find the driver?

The PC-Windows driver is moved to the PC-Software section in our web sites

http://www.st.com/mcu/familiesdocs-110.html#Software - PC

Quote:

3) The USB in the old project was setup as a Virtual COM Port for windows. I didn't encounter any problems running on the HSI. I saw on the FAQ section that this is no longer recommended. My hardware is currently setup for the HSI to be used. Any ideas on a work around? Is it possible to run at USB low-speed (1.5 MBit/s)?

Using the HSI to have the 48Mhz for the USB is not recommended and is out of USB specification even it is working in a functional way, In that case, the USB Jitter should be not inline withe the permitted range. You have simply to add an external Quartz in your PCB or to calibrate each HSI frequency device-by-device before starting USB and during USB application if there is drift and ensure that the level of jitter is acceptable [ refer to to AN2868 :

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/an/15293.pdf

]

STM32F10xx device are only full speed devices (12Mbits/s), they do not support low speed (1.5Mbits/s)

Hope these pointers help you.

Cheers,

STOne-32.

[ This message was edited by: STOne-32 on 02-08-2009 16:46 ]

mvi
Associate II

Hi STOne-32,

Many thanks for the reply.

In the old Firmware_Library_UM0427, there was an explaination of the peripheral, the register structure and then firmware library functions along with examples per function. Could you please direct me to such ''per function'' examples in the STM32F10x_Standard Peripherals Firmware Library (CHM file)?

Regarding the USB, I did refer to the document AN2868 before. I was waiting for your reply before posting my questions about it. Is it possible to calibrate the HSI without the hardware setup, i. e. can I connect the 32.768 kHz RTC to a timer internally to calibrate the HSI?

The setup in AN2868 requires a connection to PA6 from PC13. I might be able to run a wire on the PCB, but if there is an alternative it would be great.

Thanks!

-Mad

[ This message was edited by: mvi on 04-08-2009 13:32 ]

mvi
Associate II

No replies STOne-32? 🙂

-Mad

mvi
Associate II

Hi,

Suggestion from anyone else are welcome as well...

Thanks!

-Mad

mvi
Associate II

Hi,

Browsing through the forums, I found out that the document I am looking for (if available) is the ''Firmware Library Reference Manual'' for the ''Standard Peripheral Library v3.1.0''.

-Mad