expocent
Associate II
Posted on October 06, 2003 at 23:11

General Software' BIOS POST Codes?

5 REPLIES 5
expocent
Associate II
Posted on August 29, 2003 at 17:59

I can't find anywhere BIOS-POST codes related to General Software.

What mean 0x0d and long beep?

Somebody knows anything?
thierry239955_st
Associate II
Posted on August 30, 2003 at 11:19

I have got a document with the General Software post code. Find it attached in this message.

0x0d means 'testing CMOS RAM shutdown register.'

It is the first post code concerning the CMOS... maybe a problem to access it?

Farfalla

Attachments :

gs_post.htm : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006Htsd&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000aYI%2FRg9qFc7J0vLu3isKylv8sbW8bG6FP9IyAlBf6n2.lxU&asPdf=false
marios
Associate II
Posted on September 17, 2003 at 10:38

This error code is usually the first one to appear when the CPU can not read proper data from the Super I/O chip. Although this is what the post code says, it is not necessarily the shutdown register that is faulty. (why would a deep-in-the-silicon register fail?) All previous accesses to the Super I/O chip by the BIOS are write-only so the CPU won't know it the data is properly written. So it it has to do with the interface between the CPU and your Super I/O chip.

expocent
Associate II
Posted on September 20, 2003 at 19:32

I have NO any (super) IO chip at all. Nor any CMOS clock, etc. I just have SDRAM, ROM, VGA interface and IDE/ATA. So, I need very minimal BIOS functions to initialize STPC registers and to boot from disk, even without VGA up.

PrimaryBootLoader from here is doing register setup fine but is far away from amulating any BIOS int's. It is good enough for pure embeded applications - you can start even 32-bit proteceted code very easy.

Any ideas about alternative BIOS?

marios
Associate II
Posted on October 06, 2003 at 23:11

That explains why you are getting this Post code. It looks like you do not have a BIOS source. You may want to contact General Software about customizing a BIOS with the minimal features. They have several developers in Europe who are licensed to do that customization to you. It would avoid you paying for a full source code.

I think that there is also TinyBIOS which works on the Industrial. I hope that this is not a new design, because it looks like the Industrial is going end-of-life.