chris_s
Associate II
Posted on March 23, 2004 at 05:19

STPC VEGA & WinXP

4 REPLIES 4
chris_s
Associate II
Posted on August 25, 2003 at 10:46

There are some problems with installing WinXPpro...

''Windows requires certain processor features that are not available on the processor...

PCUID

CMPXCHG8B''

is the error message.

As much we know, the Rise-Core had a fix for Windows NT 4.0, which sets the CPUID to 0. But it should be 1 for WinXP. Is there an XP-fix, a new core to run the system with XP or something else to solve the problem?

Thank you!

Chris

chris_s
Associate II
Posted on August 26, 2003 at 06:00

The new 'ntoskrnl.exe' or WinXP SP2 solved the problem. ST-support team, thank you for the fast response!

There is just a small thing, which is still not running: our network card. We use the ste10/100 and it seems like the driver on the download-page from ST don't works. Someone has experience with this network adaptor and win2000/xp?

Thank you!

[ This message was edited by: chris_s on 26-08-2003 09:31 ]
thierry239955_st
Associate II
Posted on August 30, 2003 at 11:55

I have tested the STE10/100 successfully under Windows CE 3.0 and Linux with my STPC Atlas board but I never tested it with NT driver.

The STE10/100 adapter is compatible with the Tulip chipset from DEC but with differents PCI vendor and device IDs. Because of this, the board isn't detected as a Tulip and can't use the associated driver.

I think the device and vendor IDs are stored in the E2PROM of the board and programmed by the driver at board initialization. If you succeed to modify this, you will be able to use the standard Tulip driver.

Maybe you can try this way.

Farfalla

chris_s
Associate II
Posted on March 23, 2004 at 05:19

Hmm... we got only a driver for WinCE 3.0 which was not working. There was an error in reading the configuration register table (wrong data shift/filter). The NT and XP driver had also some errors (NT: installing File, XP: device ID and vendor ID). Only the Linux driver was working fine, there was no special driver needed, the normal tulip driver made the job.

We are not very happy about the STE10/100A drivers. Are there some drivers in the queue or do you don't recommend the STE10/100A for new designs?

Chris

[ This message was edited by: chris_s on 15-04-2004 09:15 ]