Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2004 at 11:17

Unable to erase and program 3233B

13 REPLIES 13
bbbodekar
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:59

Hello,

I was using 3233B for some time and was able to do erase and programming on it.

But now when i try doing it, it says - Device is secured,

and -

Erase full chip ---- fail

Can anyone help me, cause i never ''secured'' the chip.

Regards,

Bhushan.

bbbodekar
Associate II

Hello,

Can anyone or the moderator help me out on this one please, cause I am stuck up with my development work.

Reagrds,

Bhushan.
bbbodekar
Associate II

Hello,

Could anyone tell me what are all the ways, other than the psdsoft express, to set the security bit for the 3233 chip?

Also, if security bit is set, is the chip of no use, becuase even after selecting 'ALL' option and trying to erase the chip, it does not work.

I guess the ST should take a note of this or modify the manual which says that the whole chip can be erase even if the security bit is set.

Unlike Phase426, i wonder why the moderator does not even bother to say something about some issues.

Bhushan.
danielh1
Associate II

Hi Bushan,

The security bit doesn't ''kill'' the chip. It can be erased by erasing the whole chip. What is happening to you is apparently a chip failure (or worse: a flashlink failure). Can you try to program other chips?

Daniel

bbbodekar
Associate II

Hello Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. It apparently seems that there is a chip failure as the flashlink is still able to program the chip on the development board from ST.

Regards,

Bhushan.

jwe
Associate

Sorry for kicking this old topic, but I've got exactly the same problem with a upsd3234a microcontroller. is there someone who has allready solved this problem?

Thanks
joseph2399
Associate II

If you have been using the same device for quite some time for code development, I suspect that you may need a new device (assuming your FlashLink still works).

A couple of things to keep in mind:

- The PLD in the device has a minimum lifeftime of 1000 cycles. If you program the PLD everytime you change your code and you do it often, you may have exceeded the lifetime. Be sure that the program settings are such that you only erase/program the flash when only the code has changed. You should only program all (PLD and flash) when you change the memory mapping and PLD settings. Note: The flash has a minimum lifetime of 100,000 cycles.

- Even if the security bit is inadvertently set, the erase all will erase the device (PLD and flash) and it can be programmed again.

jwe
Associate

2 out of 10 uPSD3234a microcontrollers had this problem. These two weren't used for development, so they are only erased and programmed a few times. Is the only option replacing them or are there other possiblities?

joseph2399
Associate II

Please send the applications engineering department an e-mail describing your environment in more detail. For example, what board are you using (an ST DK or your own board), the full part number of the device you are using, PSDsoft version, error message you receive during programming, and power supply voltage. Also, does the FlashLink Target Connect test work on the device that can't be programmed correctly?

The applications engineering department e-mail address is

mailto:apps.psd@st.com

. Be sure to include:

Name

Company Name

Phone Number

Location (City, State, Country)

Complete uPSD part number

Application

Projected annual volume (units)

Production start date

Thanks,