Associate II
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 06:09

ST7Lite29 - internal RC oscillator adjustment

5 REPLIES 5
wolfgang2399
Associate II
Posted on July 26, 2005 at 08:17

Hi,

is there anybody who can help me calibrating the internal RC-oscillator of the Lite29? In my approach to the problem I found out a unexplainable phenomenon.

- The problem:

According to AN1324 I am trying to calibrate the RC oscillator measuring a defined interval (20ms @ 50Hz) and successive reloading the RCCR.

--> Sometimes the new values stored at RCCR don't cause any effect, sometimes the result is o.k.

There is no advancement when I wait for about 100ms (without reset) after each change of RCCR before I take a new sample.

Restarting the micro after each change brings the assumed effect.

Any idea??

Thanks

WoRo

fggnrc
Associate II
Posted on July 26, 2005 at 10:24

WoRo,

the RC oscillator frequency depends not only on RCCR value, but also on temperature, supply voltage, ...

For this reason a small change may cause no effect (as are the ones that you observed).

After a reset, the RCCR is set to $FF, i.e. the slowest frequency. Therefore the value you write in RCCR causes a measurable effect.

If you need more control on RC oscillator, why do not you implement a software PLL: measure the actual frequency, compute the error and adjust accordingly the RCCR. This solution however needs the continuos availability of the reference signal, and I do not know if it fits well in your application.

Regards,

EtaPhi

wolfgang2399
Associate II
Posted on July 26, 2005 at 12:09

EtaPhi,

thank you for your answer.

... the RC oscillator frequency depends not only on RCCR value, but also on temperature, supply voltage, ...

The fact is, that temperature or supply effects I can surely disregard. Because the timings of both procedures are nearly identical.

Only, at the faulty one I set RCCR with the new value but don't reset the micro but with the successful procedure I add a reset after each new voting (RCCR is copied to EEPROM_RCCR_5V).

The time between two samples is about 150ms - in both cases.

If you need more control on RC oscillator, why do not you implement a software PLL: measure the actual frequency, compute the error and adjust accordingly the RCCR.

Tracing the samples shows me that sometimes there is no change in the frequency when changing RCCR without resetting the micro.

Furthermore I calibrate my RC in a test control unit and only there I generate the 20ms signal. In my final device there is no such a signal.

Best regards

WoRo

mustapha_jellouli
Associate II
Posted on August 16, 2005 at 14:41

Dear Woro,

About the calibration AN1324, I met some problems which I can not explain.

I use this application every hour , and sometimes the micro stucks. Do you have the same problem?

So I used another application which I developped.

Regards

Mustapha

wolfgang2399
Associate II
Posted on August 17, 2005 at 06:09

Hi Mustapha,

seems so!

I can't explain the effect, that sometimes setting a new value to the RCCR does not change the frequency. Only, each time when I set RCCR after a reset the new value has been taken into account.

But the micro didn't stuck at all...

By the way: Where are the :o ST application engineers or our :o Moderator helping us with solving our/their problems!!

Where can we find information about known malfunctions?

Best Regards

WoRo