Posted on August 29, 2003 at 06:35

Communication Error

6 REPLIES 6
saravan
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2003 at 07:56

I am using inDART STX/D to program ST72321 devices. I am able to program

few times. After few times of programming i am facing 'Communuication

Error' between inDART and target. I am using Windows XP as OS.

Is setting of wrong option bytes the cause for this.I had tried

even ''Ignore Option Bytes' setting also.

But the device is not recovering. Is there any way by which the device

can be recovered?
ldefend1
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2003 at 08:04

Most of the times, communication errors between inDART-STX and the target microcontroller are due to a wrong Option Bytes setting. If a device is programmed with wrong Option Bytes settings (for example, oscillator settings specify a clock source different than that used in the target board), inDART-STX cannot communicate with the target microcontroller (since the target microcontroller must be up and running in order for inDART to communicate with it). To recover from such a situation, it is necessary to restore a 'safe' context which will allow inDART to program the new, correct Option Bytes settings.

In DataBlaze, choose 'Communication Settings' from the 'Operation' menu and check the option 'Ignore Option Bytes'. A 'forced' Option Bytes value is temporarily used, thus enabling you to recover from an previous incorrect setting. This means, among other things, that a 'safe' clock source is used (typically an external clock must be provided). This option (which is used by inDART-STX by default) is useful when the Option Bytes value programmed into the device specifies incorrect start-up parameters; you can bypass them and start-up from a safe condition.

Be sure to provide the correct clock signal to the target device. If you are using a SofTec Microsystems evaluation board, this can simply be accomplished by moving the jumper which specifies the clock source into the position which enables the clock signal coming from the ISP connector. If you are using your own target board, you must temporarily provide an external clock source to the target microcontroller, either via an oscillator module or by tieing the oscillator pin of the microcontroller to the OSC_CLK pin of the ISP connector.

In DataBlaze, choose 'Erase' from the 'Operation' menu and be sure that the 'Erase Options' option is checked. Click 'Start'. The Option Bytes should now be erased.

In DataBlaze, choose 'Option Bytes' from the 'Edit' menu and set the Option Bytes to the new, correct value you want to be programmed into the device.

In DataBlaze, choose 'Program' from the 'Operation' menu and be sure that only the 'Program Options' option is checked. Click 'Start'. The new Option Bytes value should now be programmed into the target device.

Restore the target microcontroller's clock source as specified in the Option Bytes settings you have just programmed.

In DataBlaze, choose 'Communication Settings' from the 'Operation' menu and check the option 'Use Option Bytes'.

inDART-STX should now be able to communicate with your target system.
saravan
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2003 at 09:31

Thanks friul.

But i had tried those things mentioned in the inDART FAQ's. But it is not working.

Other than replacing the mcu is there any solution?

sarav
ldefend1
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2003 at 10:42

Did you connect the OSC_CLK line from inDART (ICP Connector pin 9) straight to MCU (pin OSC1)?

sanjeevk
Associate II
Posted on August 28, 2003 at 12:59

Thanks a lot friul.

It did work magic for us.

It would be of great help to me if you could tell me how it did.

Thank you

sarav
ldefend1
Associate II
Posted on August 29, 2003 at 06:35

Dear Sarav,

All of the ISP connector signals (ICCDATA, ICCCLK, ICCSEL/VPP, OSC_CLK, RESET, VDD and VSS) must be correctly tied to the target microcontroller.

OSC_CLK: Used to provide a device input clock signal to use when no other clock sources are available. Depending on the target device, inDART-STX provides a 4- or 8-MHz signal on this pin.