jdaniel
Associate II
Posted on November 18, 2003 at 15:01

Port 0 Input Specifications

5 REPLIES 5
jdaniel
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:56

I'm trying to determine the input voltage requirements (Vih and Vil) for Port 0 on the uPSD3254A. The specification doesn't seem to be listed in table 111 in the user's guide. Should I assume that these specifications match those of the other ports tagged as ''CMOS compatible'' in the port structure descriptions? Or should I assume that they have the same characteristics as the 8032? Better yet, is there an errata sheet indicating these values? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

pHaze426
joseph2399
Associate II

Port 0 and Port 2 are internal address and data bus and can not be used as GPIO. You can assume that this internal address/data bus exhibit the same characteristics as a standard 8032.

jdaniel
Associate II

Moderator,

I think once again I somehow mixed up my explanation. I am confident that the uPSD can drive the address and data signals TO the DPRAM. This is because I am GIVEN Voh and Vol for the uPSD. What I don't know is if the DPRAM can drive data BACK to the uPSD when it's requested. For that, I need to know Vih and Vil of the uPSD and make sure that they are appropriate for the corresponding Voh and Vol of the DPRAM. So: Will TTL-levels reliably drive the inputs of the uPSD? That is, will a 2.4V signal from the DPRAM be interpreted as a hi, or do I need the 0.7Vcc required by all the other MCU ports? Sorry to belabor this point, but the devil's in the details, so to speak.

Best Regards,

pHaz426
jdaniel
Associate II

Moderator,

Thanks. I understand that these ports cannot be used for GPIO, but these levels are nonetheless important for interfacing to external memory. I'm trying to interface to a Cypress CY7C136 DPRAM and I need to determine if I have to pull up the bus or add any interface logic for the lines. Assuming I used values for a standard intel 8032, which particular flavor would be appropriate?

The values for the 8032AH are as follows for port 0:

- Vil = 0.7Vmax

- Vih = 2.1Vmin

- Vol = 0.45Vmax (at 3.2mA)

- Voh = 2.4Vmin (at -400uA)

The values for the 80C32 are as follows for port 0:

- Vil = 0.2Vcc - 0.1V max

- Vih = 0.2Vcc + 0.9V min

- Vol = 0.3V max (at 200uA)

- Voh = Vcc - 0.3V (at -200uA)

Do either of these sets of data match up with what I should expect from the uPSD? I ask this only because the values for the uPSD bus that ARE given in the datasheet are as follows:

- Vol = 0.45Vmax (at 3.2mA)

- Voh = 2.4Vmin (at -800uA)

These seem to match up with the bus values for the 8032AH (with a bit more current sourcing capacity). HOWEVER, in figure 17 on page 48, the port 0 structure is described as ''CMOS compatible interface.'' I would normally consider the values listed for the 8032AH as TTL compatible. This makes a big difference in my application as I need to know whether the Cypress DPRAM is capable of reliably driving this bus. Please clarify a bit further if you can.

Best Regards,

pHaze426
joseph2399
Associate II

Yes you are correct, uPSD operates like 8032AH. It is compatible with both TTL and CMOS interface. If Vol = 0.45Vmax (at 3.2mA) and

Voh = 2.4Vmin (at -800uA) meets the requirement of Cypress CY7C136 DPRAM, then there should be no problem with it driving this bus.