jdaniel
Associate II
Posted on March 12, 2004 at 14:59

Nohau Emulator Questions

2 REPLIES 2
jdaniel
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:59

This question is probably one for the moderator, unless some others out there have significant experience with the Nohau emulator for the uPSD32XX series. I recently purchased one and I'm having some trouble with stepping and breakpoints that I think relates to how I'm creating my PSDSoft project.

First, I spoke to the tech support people at Nohau, and they informed me that I essentially have to program the socketed PSD device that's on their emulator pod with my code and PLD settings, etc. The first question stems from this. Do I create a program for the specific uPSD processor I'm using, or for the PSD chip they have on the pod (PSD834F2)? Your application note seems to suggest that I would just use the one for the uPSD, but I'm not sure if that's the case.

Second, I wonder how I could use this to support emulation of the uPSD3254A. The PSD834F2 that they include has only 8kB of SRAM whereas the 3254 has 32kB. I've ordered some PSD854 chips to try and correct this, but I wonder if anyone knows if I can just replace the 834 with this chip and have everything work as expected?

The final (and perhaps most difficult) problem I'm facing relates to the way the emulator's interface interprets the details of my PSDSoft project. I have a rather complicated memory map. Basically, at startup, I have boot flash from 0-7FFF in code space and fs0 mapped from 8000-FFFF in xdata space. I have some identical startup code (startup.a51) located at the same location in bot boot flash and main flash. At startup, this code checks some status bits at the beginning of fs0 to see if it has been marked as valid. If so, I do the following:

1. Change the VM register to map boot AND primary flash into code space.

2. Switch to my application page which has fs0 mapped from 0-7FFF and fs1 mapped from 8000-FFFF.

3. Change the VM register to map only primary flash into code space.

At this point, execution continues normally because the startup code is identical and the application is run.

When I execute a ''load target config'' from Seehau, however, it seems to setup banking stating that the banked region is from 8000-FFFF only. If I then load the code for my application and set a breakpoint, it never breaks. I can get around this by disabling the trace of the VM and page registers, but this seems a less than great solution.

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated, because I think I've thoroughly stumped Nohau's tech support. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Phaze426
jdaniel
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 11:59

Is the moderator even checking in on the forum any more? Is someone looking into this problem? Could I have some feedback?