Associate II
Posted on November 19, 2003 at 16:04

Emulator

4 REPLIES 4
seeguard
Associate II
Posted on November 16, 2003 at 18:33

Hello,

Is the inDART-STX/521 emulator a RT debugger?

I can use breakpoints, only when my software is non-interrupted.

The moment I add an interrupt such as Timer A, it runs but I can't

debug the ST7 target since the breakepoints do not function.

should I use anather emulator, or there is an option in the metrowerks IDE which enable the breakpoints also when interrupts are activated too ?

atz

ppoletto
Associate II
Posted on November 17, 2003 at 05:00

For ST7 HD-Flash memory- based devices (521, 324, etc), the execution is in real-time only when no breakpoints are set. However,

you can set “low-level� breakpoints (and still get real-time execution) by putting the TRAP instruction in your source code. When a TRAP instruction is executed, the program stops just as if a breakpoint was set. The advantage of using this technique is that you can have as many TRAP instructions (and therefore set as many “low-level� breakpoints) and still the program will be executed in real-time. However, every time you insert/remove a TRAP instruction you need to recompile your program.

I know that this is a big limitation, but it depends of the ST7 memory architecture (HDFlash memory without on-chip debug peripheral).

If you can't debug with this limitation, you have to buy a more-expensive probe-based emulator.

Bye,

--Piero

jatin
Associate II
Posted on November 18, 2003 at 04:35

Are you not able to debug inside the Interrupt service routine or inside the main routine? If it is inside the ISR then, it is not possible.

seeguard
Associate II
Posted on November 19, 2003 at 16:04

thanks,

I tried to debug the code in the main. For debuging I has to put the TRAP instruction in my sourse code, and when it runs after it stop, for anather cycle of stop in the breakpoint I need to disable the breakpoint and re-enable it .

I believe I need more expensive debugger.

atz