Associate
Posted on November 13, 2006 at 18:29

ST7538

7 REPLIES 7
mbrits
Associate
Posted on March 15, 2004 at 07:59

Hi there

Im working on a power line communication project with a ST7538 that doesnt interface with the power line directly. Im using the Agilent HCPL-800L for my power line driver. So im not using the power driver pins (ATOP1&2) of the ST7538, but the ATO pin to transmit. Here is the problem: What do I do with the ATOP1&2, VSENSE and CL pins?

dix
Associate II
Posted on March 15, 2004 at 14:21

Hi,

The ATO output isn't really part of the PLI, it a low level analogue o/p that's effectively pre-PLI stage.

The CL and Vsense inputs relate to the PLI only, as they sense the output voltage and the current flow in the H-side MOSFET line driver. If you're not using the PLI, then to stop them upsetting the chip:-

(1) Pull CL to the local zero volts line.

(2) Connect Vsense to ATO via the usual pot-down and decoupling capacitor. (see 7538 datasheet page 18 figure 13). I suspect that the potdown isn't required, as ATO is already much smaller than ATOP1 & 2, but the decoupling capacitor is critical. There's a thermal shut-down on the chip, so you could try just connecting Vsense via the cap directly to the ATO pin. It shouldn't damage the chip.

Remember that there's a DC bias on ATO and you will need a decoupling capacitor before your HCPL-800L. The same it true for RAI.....

[ This message was edited by: Steveboy on 15-03-2004 18:52 ]
yeh_tong
Associate II
Posted on March 17, 2004 at 02:47

hello PLC Newbie and Steven

I am doing the same works on that power line transceiver as you do . my works focus on the softwares mainly ,and do you guys have some demo programmes in C51 language , I need some of them as my guider to do my works .

will you kind men help me ! and thanks a great deal .
dix
Associate II
Posted on March 17, 2004 at 09:19

Hi,

I'm using the ST7FLite29 as my MCU and thus my code is ST7 assembler. I'm a hardware designer anyway, so you're probably a lot better off not seeing any of my code.

The software interface of the 7538 is very simple, its the hardware that's complex. The main serial interface is basically just an SPI port, with the 7538 acting as the master in the SPI comms system.

i.e. simply hook-up the following lines;

MISO (MCU) to TxD (modem)

MOSI (MCU) to RxD (modem)

SCK (MCU) to CLR/T (modem)

And configure your SPI port. [Clock = idle low, Clock Phase = Valid data on the 1st rising edge.]

You can use the 7538 in asynchronous mode, (i.e. without CLR/T) but I wouldn't recommend this, as you can't configure the chip without the clock. So unless you wish to use the default configuration you need to use synchronous mode. It also saves you having to recover the clock in Rx mode.

The other key control lines are REG_DATA and Rx/Tx. The Status lines BU and CD-PD come into play when you're using the chip for real. You can operate without them to start with.

Okay, so to configure the chip take REG_DATA high and Rx/Tx low, (see table on page 11 of the datasheet). Load the correct 3 byte configure into the chip using your SPI port. Ensure the correct timing. (as per the diagrams on page 14) as this is critical.

When you've done this take REG_DATA low, as its best to idle in DATA mode. {stops you writing to the REG in error}.

The half duplex comms access control is then via Rx/Tx. As it simply controls the mode of the chip. Watch out here, as there are timing issues with the PLI interface. This takes 3.2msec to power up after you take Rx/Tx low. (see pages 16 and 20).

In Tx mode you simply check the BU signal, for a free comms LAN. If it free then you can transmit you message data stream. The BU ildes low and goes high when the FSK carrier is detected. Its actaully releted to the CD_PD line.

In Rx mode you sit and wait for the CD_PD line to go low. In my code I use the SPIF interript flag (of my SPI port) to capture the data. The datasheet isn't too clear here, but I've found that the chip pulls the CD_PD low for the complete duration of the Rx cycle. So you can test for CD_PD low (start of Rx data) and wait until CD_PD goes high (end of Rx data).

If you use pre-amble detection, then the CD_PD flags for a byte string of AA, AA, AA, AA or 55, 55, 55, 55 at the start of the data stream. If you select pre-amble in your 7538 configuration, but forget to send it, then the first 4 (non-zero) bytes are ignored and the CD_PD flags as a carrier detection on the 5th Rx byte. When you actaully send the pre-amble the CD_PD goes low as soon as the message is received. A bit of digital magic here, as the pre-amble also appears in the output data stream. So CD_PD appears to go low before the string has arrived. This is just due to the internal digital filtering and CD_PD actually flags in-time with the 1st data edge. Nice trick..!

Look out for the relative timing issue betweem Rx/Tx and REG_DATA. These are critical and the chip doesn't work if you get them wrong.

The 7538 chip really is this simple to interface to. However the hardware coupling inteface is a lot more complex. This requires a good knowledge of analogue electroincs and filter design, (have a look at AN1714).

Out of interest what type of project are you working on? Don't worry if you can't say. I was just interested, as I'm using the chip on a 24Vac /24Vdc loop rather then 240Vrms. I'm having real problems with the interface, as the impedance matching is critical. I'm also having real problems establishing reliable comms.

Good luck.

Regards

Steve.

nullnull
yeh_tong
Associate II
Posted on March 18, 2004 at 00:37

Hi Steveboy

thanks for your advice,and will anybody else help me ............
reinhard_larch
Associate II
Posted on June 10, 2006 at 11:17

Hi Steve,

It seems like we are having the same problem here! I'm also using the chip on a 24Vac loop and I am having real problems with the interface. Up to 5m or 6m my communication is quite reliable. At longer distances(I am testing on a 30m cable) it takes the master up to 10 requests before the slave answers without errors. I am using 132.5kHz and 600baud. I am using the same Tx filtas as suggested inside AN1714. Except that C11 is around 200uF(try and error) since I don't get any communication with the suggested value of 33uF.

At the moment I am still using a lot of SMD components. I am just about to exchange the critical components (in particular the inductors

LC12, L4) to see if this is a saturation problem.

I will let you know if I receive any good results.

By the way I am using a software preamble since I think that the pre-amble detection mechanism of the 7538 is not very stable.

What is your max distance with stable communication?

Best Regards

Reinhard

gedass2000
Associate II
Posted on November 13, 2006 at 18:29

Quote:

On 17-03-2004 at 07:17, Anonymous wrote:

hello PLC Newbie and Steven

I am doing the same works on that power line transceiver as you do . my works focus on the softwares mainly ,and do you guys have some demo programmes in C51 language , I need some of them as my guider to do my works .

will you kind men help me ! and thanks a great deal .

Hi

demo code for ST7538 + AtMega16 you can download from:

http://www.edevices.lt