Associate II
Posted on May 27, 2004 at 08:38

ST7 kit

1 REPLY 1
pete3
Associate II
Posted on May 27, 2004 at 08:38

Hi all,

I've just had a guy from ST round to fix an issue I was having with the Scotty programming board and he was extremely informative regarding ST's current line of dev boards.

Bear with me, this is from memory so don't take it as gospel.

Apparently some of the ST7 devices are not ''officially'' supported by ST themselves- they make no official demo or programming boards (although 3rd-party solutions are available). However as there is a definite need for dev kit for the devices this chap designs and makes them himself.

The boards are named after whatever comes into his head at the time so the ST5 series boards are named after Star Trek characters, ST7s are Looney Tunes etc. - hence the board I had, ''Scotty''.

As ST are not officially supporting the products themselves there are no datasheets or circuit boards available for them on the official site- BUT THEY ARE AVAILABLE IF YOU NEED THEM. Distribution of the boards is fairly healthy. The guy is based in Marlowe and there's around 150 of the ''Kirk'' board around Europe (the PCB has the immortal line ''We come in peace, shoot to kill'' on it).

< /ramble >

Point is, tech support for these devices is available. He was talking about posting the schematics for these boards here but I don't know if it's possible or when.

Additionally, STVD7 (v3) does not include simulation support for a number of devices (notably the 561). This may be fixed in the coming months.

Hope this helps anyone else having the problems I was having!