Associate
Posted on July 17, 2004 at 13:01

Preamble in ST7538

4 REPLIES 4
jvara
Associate
Posted on June 17, 2004 at 09:37

Hi!

I'm using a ST7538 device with a PIC16F877A as host controller. I am now able to write and read the control register, but I have some problems with data tx/rx.

I use preamble detection with conditioning, and I have tested the first byte I have to send is hex'15', so the CD_PD signal goes low at the end of this byte, so I can read the following ones correctly. Is this actually neccesary or am I doing some thing wrong?

Other curious thing is that I always have two extra clock pulses in CLR/T (if I transmit, for example, the secuence h'15', h'AC', I receive h'AC' and two extra bits being ''0''). Have you the same experience?

I will thank any help you could give me.

Thankyou very much in advance!

Jose
dix
Associate II
Posted on June 20, 2004 at 16:12

Hi Jose,

Not sure what your problem is with the Tx/Rx control line, but it simply controls the mode of operation of the chip, switching between low power receiver mode and high power transmit mode. The idea is that you idle in Rx (low power mode) and switch to Tx mode only when you wish to transmit data. Setting the Rx/Tx line to logical zero switches ON the Power Line Tranceiver (output) stage of the chip and enbles the 123.25KHz FSK carriers signal.

Note there's a 3.2msec settling delay on the carrier waveform and you shouldn't start transmitting data until the carrier is stable, (see page 20 of the datasheet).

As you've enabled preable detection on the chip, the CD_PD line goes low when a four byte string of AA, AA, AA, AA or 55, 55, 55, 55 is received by the chip. [The chip needs to be in Rx mode, with Rx/Tx = logical 1].

In Rx mode there's a detection delay due to the chip and an additional digital filtering delay. [Note the control register settings for the digital filter extend this delay].

The CD_PD line goes low after the delay period, (i.e. when the data starts to be clocked out of the serial port (SPI) master) and the low edge of CD_PD is in synch with the first preable byte.

The CD_PD line will stay low while the complete message is clocked out, (i.e. for all bytes of the message) and returns high afterwards.

The I also had problems with extra CLR/T clock pulses and never got the chip to work with error free data. STM told me that the chip was okay, but I think there's a hardware bug in the chip.

Good luck
Posted on July 11, 2004 at 20:41

Hi, it is very interesting this transceiver, it fits very well in a new project that my company have, but we haven´t found a place where we can buy this chips, do you know a place?

[ This message was edited by: bennyfernandezparada on 12-07-2004 00:12 ]
krapf
Associate II
Posted on July 17, 2004 at 13:01

Hi,

I am beggining using the ST7538 chip in a research and would appreciate a simple help:

the datasheet of St7538 says on page 11 figure 1 (left side) that the asynchronous interface does not require the CLR/T signal, but the same datasheet at page 13 ''control register access'' says that the communication with the control register is always synchronous, requiring the CLR/T signal.

before build the prototype I would like to know what is the right afirmative!

thanks in advance

Rafael - BRASIL