xu1
Associate II
Posted on August 24, 2004 at 06:57

indart and DVP

7 REPLIES 7
xu1
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2004 at 16:52

I am using inDart with St72F63 (a flash device). It is a very limited tool to begin with. Anytime I set the a break point, the code is not running in real time. Since I am working on USB code, it mess all the timings. It is almost useless.

Does the ST's emulator have the same problem?

Thanks in advance,

Dong
sjo
Associate II
Posted on August 20, 2004 at 20:22

The work around to running realtime and using breakpoints on this device is to use the trap instruction.

It not ideal as you have to rebuild your code/etc but it does work.

It is mentioned in the indart errata sheets.

Hope this helps.

sjo
omar
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2004 at 11:30

DVP and EMU don't have this limitation

Best Regards
omar
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2004 at 11:30

DVP and EMU don't have this limitation

Best Regards
xu1
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2004 at 16:24

I am using ST7263 with Indar now, which is not very helpful. So I am think of changing to DVP or EMU? And what is the main difference? Which one shall I use?

Thanks,

Dong
sjo
Associate II
Posted on August 24, 2004 at 06:47

Your only choice is the emulator, the dvp3 series does not support usb devices - and the emulator is very expensive.

Regards

sjo
ldefend2
Associate II
Posted on August 24, 2004 at 06:57

This happens when working with HDFlash target devices (such as ST72F63) and one or more breakpoints are set. Since the device hasn't got any debug peripheral and it has a very small number of programming cycles, inDART technology has this limitation. On the other hand, all microcontroller's peripherals are not reconstructed or simulated by an external device. Besides the inDART-STX debugging approach makes sure that the target microcontroller's electrical characteristics (pull-ups, low-voltage operations, I/O thresholds, etc.) are 100% guaranteed.

As Sjo said, the work around to running realtime and using breakpoints on this device is to use the TRAP instruction.

It's true that EMU doesn't have such a limitation, but it's also true that it is much more expensive than inDART, which is an in-circuit debugger.

Luca

http://www.softecmicro.com

[ This message was edited by: Luca_Defend on 24-08-2004 10:35 ]