javidaboo
Associate II
Posted on November 02, 2004 at 12:41

C Compiliers

4 REPLIES 4
javidaboo
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:02

I'm planning on porting approximately 5000 lines of c-code over to a uPSD3300 device. I should get the evaluation kit any day. Since it comes with two compiliers, Raisonance and Keil, I was wondering if anyone has any experience using either of there tool chains.

hsanchez
Associate II

Hi.

I'm using SDCC and it works great (

http://sdcc.sourceforge.net

)

Hernán
jdaniel
Associate II

bytebird,

I recently did a project based on the uPSD3254 and did all my development in C with Keil's tools. I find them easy to use and altogether flexible. Their IDE is fairly generic, but includes options to let you do just about everything possible with their compiler without having to memorize any command line settings.

If the code you've got to port was written for an 8051 dervative, porting should be no problem. At my company, we used to use an old version of the Archimedes compiler for our 8051 projects and ported them over to Keil as updates were required. My guesstimate is that if this is your case, you're really only looking at a few days solid work to get 5k lines of code ported over. If, however, this is code that was written on a PC and/or you haven't done any 8051 development before, you might find yourself climbing a bit of a learning curve the first time. I don't see that being any easier with any other compiler, however.

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Phaze426
danielh1
Associate II

Hi byteybird,

I join phase426 for the Keil compiler. I'm using it for years to my full satisfaction (very good optimized code). I guess that the Raisonance guys will tell you the same, so you are on your own for the decision.

SDCC: a free compiler. As a general rule, what you get for free is worth every cent you paid for it! SDCC works, quite a large community is using it (mainly unix); I have tried it myself, for fun. If you don't mind about large inefficient code, nor sloppy real time, it is a good choice to start, at 0 cost.

You are mentioning 5K of codes, so I guess that they don't come from another 8051 variant. As phase426 already explained, you will have a pretty hard work to setup your programming environment, before even starting to actually port your program.

Good luck, keep smiling, there is life after programming, Daniel