jeremy_king
Associate II
Posted on September 27, 2004 at 08:16

Running freedos on any microcontroller?

7 REPLIES 7
jeremy_king
Associate II
Posted on September 01, 2004 at 22:01

Ok well it took me a while but I found this site and hope it helps me.

Any way

Is there a microcontroller that I can use to run freedos or just plain dos 3.1 or something that is saved in a eeprom. Then I want to load a 59 k app to eeprom the load a avi to ram and play it on an lcd.

I figured out that I need a dos compatible microcontroller a lcd hardware driver a color graphic lcd. But that is as far ad I can get.

I also need to load all this through usb.

If any one can point me in the right direction I would be very much thankful.

You can also email the answer to

mailto:jeremy_king@dell.com

parveen
Associate II
Posted on September 02, 2004 at 06:19

You can use STPC for your application. STPC supports many commercial OSs.

For more specifc details please contact STPC forum through same website

Hope this helps

Thanks and Regards,

PraveenG
jeremy_king
Associate II
Posted on September 02, 2004 at 13:16

That wont work for me. It has to be small and I dont need pci capability or nic capiblity. I just need to have usb, lcd and run a very small vertion of dos on it. U nless you know of a IC that can decode avi.

urik
Associate II
Posted on September 07, 2004 at 04:01

can i run freedos on the ST7265x ?

alok2
Associate II
Posted on September 08, 2004 at 02:44

The 7265x has inbuilt DTC (coprocessor) which is a RISC machine and works at 24Mhz. The DTC is software programmable and can be used for interfacing the LCD. The FS USB interface is also available in 7265x.

jeremy_king
Associate II
Posted on September 08, 2004 at 14:17

Well you see I just need a 40mhz cpu speed 16-bit compatible.I just want a hardware usb support on its own line putting the info to sram then the cpu pull the info from sram to the PIC16c745. I just cant figure out how to connect eeprom and sram . The reason for the os (unless you have a hardware video decoder) is to run a software decoder that can run on 3.1 DOS.

usb port---->pic16c745---->eeprom---->sram

Not sure what type of eeprom to use or what cpu to use

eeprom and sram----->40 mhz+ 16-bit cpu------>color graphic lcd controller

NOTE:cpu needs to be in a micro controller not going to use a intel, amd or any other cpu like that.
juhee
Associate II
Posted on September 09, 2004 at 10:20

I do not exactly understand your application, but based on the specifications you have described following could be suggested:

1. ST10 a 16 bit microcontroller with 40MHz frequency, but it does not have an inbuilt USB cell, so you can use it with a standalone USB device.

2. ST2F163 an 8 bit microcontroller but it can be used as 16 bit (Frequency achieved will not be 40MHz). This has an inbuilt USB cell also.

3. Or as Alok suggested ST7265, It has an inbuilt FS USB interface + the co-processor DTC (24MHz) can be used for your fast interface