Associate II
Posted on September 27, 2004 at 11:48

gdi-error

13 REPLIES 13
chutton99
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2004 at 02:19

hello,

I'm need help with the the following error error:gdi-error:communication error between the instrument and the target device. I don't have this problem on a mates laptop running xp pro but on my desktop running xp pro and works desktop running win98 i do have this problem. All three computers are running the same software (indart-st7 v.1.17) and are using the same development tool(indart st72c-sk)

Please Help!
pete3
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2004 at 05:59

Hi,

It sounds like you're using Softec's inDART st7. If so there can be a few causes of this error. Make sure the option bytes in your Datablaze configuration match the option bytes on your device. If not, try programming them in separately before programming the application onto your chip. Also, try changing the instruction frequency down in Operations->Communication Settings then stepping up the frequency till you repeat the error.

HTH!
chutton99
Associate II
Posted on September 13, 2004 at 20:46

i have made sure the option bytes are correct and tried changing the reset rise time but it still doesn't work. but it will work ok on the laptop

i have also tried different parallel port modes on my comuter but this also made no difference. Is a service pack needed for xp pro?

pete3
Associate II
Posted on September 14, 2004 at 06:12

Don't think so, although I've had no problems with either SP1 or SP2. If you're using the same Datablaze project file there shouldn't be any trouble. Incidentally the reset time (256 vs 4096 clock cycles) is _not_ the same as the instruction frequency which is the rate instructions are sent to the micro. If you haven't done so already I recommend you step down to a 1MHz instruction clock in the menu I mentioned previously and step up.

There's also a forum at www.softecmicro.com where you can contact their support staff.

HTH!
ldefend2
Associate II
Posted on September 14, 2004 at 10:53

inDART-ST7C can be powered by the application board via the ISP cable. Are you using the Vcc pin of the ISP connector or the power connector (J2)?.

This seems a PCI matter, sometimes they use low voltage and it might not be enough. So we suggest that you power inDART via the ISP cable.

Please be free to contact us directly, if the problem persists.

Luca

ldefend@softecmicro.com

[ This message was edited by: Luca_Defend on 14-09-2004 14:28 ]
chutton99
Associate II
Posted on September 14, 2004 at 21:10

Hello peterwrigley,

The instruction frequency that you mention does not apper in my datablaze. my driver version is v.1.17.

Hello Luca_Defend,

I'm using the ISP cable to power the inDART board with a voltage of 4.95V

Thanks for the replys but still not working

pete3
Associate II
Posted on September 15, 2004 at 06:03

hutto,

When you get the gdi-error a popup box appears with two buttons, ''OK'' and ''Settings''. If you click the ''Settings'' button you should be able to change the Embedded Command Frequency with the drop-down box beside it.

You should also be able to find it in Operations->Communication Settings.
chutton99
Associate II
Posted on September 16, 2004 at 02:35

Hello Peterwrigley,

The development tool i'm using is the inDART-ST72C-SK.

I have had a look for the Frequency command and have also been told that this command is not available with this development tool.

pete3
Associate II
Posted on September 16, 2004 at 06:45

Sorry mate, out of ideas at that. If you haven't done so already I'd suggest a trip over to softecmicro.com and a peek at their forums.