Associate II
Posted on September 27, 2004 at 06:50

What to use? ST7MC, dsPIC ?

3 REPLIES 3
davidcleare9
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 10:17

Hi,

I am interested in driving the low voltage (12V) BLDC motor in a small industrial pump application at low-ish RPM (2000-8000). I am a new comer to the ST range of chips and I would like to know:

What is the difference between the ST7MC family chips and the presumably older ST72C141 chip Kanda supply in their motor control kit, and are they interchangeable.

Is the intention for the MC range of chips to be a self contained part, like a replacement for an analogue chip like the ML4425 for example, which just happens to have some spare cycles for doing other things as well. It seems to be going that way, with the automated code generation that seems to be available…

Does any one know how the ST7MC chips compare for ease of use / price / performance, with the dsPICs that can apparently do motor control.

How do the Kanda and Softec motor control evaluation kits compare.

Does anyone know of any similar products from other manufacturers that I should be considering?

I have been looking into this for a few days now, and am still unsure which is the best way to proceed, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

dc

jean-marie
Associate II

Hello,

The ST72141 microcontroller is dedicated to Permanent Magnet BLDC motor sensor or sensorless drive.

The ST7MC allow to do the same drive with additional features like more BEMF sampling method, digital filter, Integrated Operational Amplifier. This new microcontroller allow also to run AC Induction motor.

The ST72141 and ST7MC are not pin to pin compatible .

The dedicated motor control peripheral implemented in this microcontroller allow to have a low CPU load and by the way more free time to manage task with the motor running. For example the CPU load is 7% to drive a 2 pair poles motor at 4500 rpm.

The kanda kit is dedicated to ST72141 microcontroller.

The SOFTEC kit is dedicated to the ST7MC microcontroller.

Compare to dsPIC solution, the extra external component of ST7MC are only based on resistor to adapt the voltage level, all comparaor and analog components are integrated in this device.

Regards

Paco

davidcleare9
Associate II

Thanks Paco,

I have ordered an ST7 development kit now !! so I will have to see how I get on...

daceo