Associate II
Posted on March 16, 2005 at 05:43

Developing firmware vs. software

4 REPLIES 4
victoriaseras
Associate II
Posted on February 28, 2005 at 20:07

Hi,

I've been developing a firmware project using C language, so I could simulate pretty much everything right on the PC (using MS VC). The code is stable in the simulation, so it's time to move it to the real host - the ST72F651. The code compiles smoothly using Cosmic, but...

As I'm a software programmer and not really into electronics, I'd like to ask what differences are between creating firmware and software in C language, besides obvious memory constraints.

For one, there is the watchdog. Where do you clear the watchdog in the code and how often? How do you make sure that it won't reset the micro before it gets to the clearing instruction?

Out of curiosity, what are the odds that the microcontroller, such as the ST72F651, will misbehave and have to be reset? Is it a common thing? (assuming that no real stress is imposed on the controller, ie. no external activity but the usb communication)

I'd be greatful for any other comments on developing firmware using the C language.

kobi_hayun
Associate II
Posted on March 01, 2005 at 05:39

Hi Victoria

Has you said you have to orgenize your code according to the controller memory map (i.e you should define where the code will be and where the variables will be, you can find it in ST examples).

The WTD should configured as interrupt in order to update the WTD registers.

Good Luck

Hkobi

alok2
Associate II
Posted on March 11, 2005 at 00:41

There are many reference design available on 7265x micro, yuou can use them to start your design. This includes USB library etc.

The watchdog function is for handling the ''un-expected''. If the micro is waiting for some input indefinately because of bad s/w or hardware, watchdog will help recover the situation.

alain2399
Associate II
Posted on March 16, 2005 at 05:43

Have a look at the following article. Do the test and draw your own conclusions

😉

Best regards,

Alain

Attachments :

C_quest.htm : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I0Ga&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bWM%2FXpuzPbcaMqPn0KYWma1GDkv6MXzbBbufKFp1MmKihG0&asPdf=false