victoriaseras
Associate II
Posted on March 23, 2005 at 12:50

Flash memory usage

2 REPLIES 2
victoriaseras
Associate II
Posted on February 10, 2005 at 19:47

I’ve got a few questions regarding the flash memory usage of the ST7 family (more specifically the ST72651 microcontroller). My knowledge of electronics isn’t very thorough, so bear with me 🙂

As I’ve understood from the ST7 Flash Programming Reference Manual, if you set the read-out protection bit in the option byte, the memory is inaccessible for reading from the outside, but you can still write it in IAP mode. So I could load the whole program into the controller using a programmer and set the read-out protection bit (thus making the code somewhat secure even before sending the chip to the assembly line), while still being able to add some data later (when the device is ready) thru the USB port. Is that correct?

Are there any standard macros or functions in Cosmic C Compiler for the HDFlash operations? Or do I have to make the inlines myself. As for the data memory, how do I specify such chunk of memory for the compiler?

Maybe though the Cosmic EEPROM functions are fully emulated for HDFlash in IAP mode, so I could just define @eeprom char x[256] and change it in a standard C way?

If so, do I have to explicitly tell the linker where it should put the .eeprom section in memory (using the –b and –m params), or is it done automatically?

venkateswara
Associate II
Posted on March 23, 2005 at 12:50

After you download the code thru programmer you can set the Read out protection. You can read or write in the user mode provided you have the IAP drivers loaded thru programmer in sector0. read out protection is applicable for programming thru ICC mode.

The HDflash drivers are available on the internet. They are compatible with cosmic. you can also see the application note on emulated eeprom.

[ This message was edited by: venky on 23-03-2005 17:21 ]