neil23
Associate
Posted on July 26, 2007 at 16:54

Multiple Interrupt Problems on STR912

19 REPLIES 19
neil23
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 09:44

We are having severe problems when enabling more than one interrupt on the STR912 device.

We currently have a 4ms timer 0 interrupt and an external interrupt on port5.1 (WIU line 9). If the two interrupts occur simulteously the micro crashes, sometimes it resets and reboots and sometimes it crashes and fails to restart again.

Looking through the forums there seems to be considerable problems with the VIC architecture, with default handlers and other 'workarounds' being required.

Is there a definate and final method by which to solve the multiple interrupt problem ?

Thanks. :-[

charlu
Associate II

Does nobody answer? hello?

There is a lot of months that there are messages on this forum on the problems of interruptions: interruption not triggered (better case), Bad vector fetching, processor crash, inadvertent reset … etc… Several forumers propose solutions, not always clearly, some time complicated…. What is sure: If you use the ST library just as it is, and you activate several ITS, you will have some “para-normal� events, in an extremely rare way. The reliability of your embedded software becomes extremely ... bad.

But most astonishing: it is the deafening silence of ST: hello, Mirou?

charlu
Associate II

Thank you, opijozko, but we have hundreds of equipment already manufactured… But your post confirms that, definitively, there is hardware problem on STR91x VICs.

To solve our problem of IT in a reliable and final way, we wrote a single IRQ function, which does not take account of the VICs registers, and which switch to the good sequence according to the state of the peripherals. It is a little slower, but 100% reliable...

philippe2399
Associate II

I completely agree with you Charlu...

We need Mirou assistance !

Thanks.

jgoril
Associate II

Hello.

Try new STR912FA. It seems there are some improvements in silicon...

whhofmeyr
Associate II

Charlu,

It seems that that is the only way to go - I also get lost

interrupts.

By defining (empty) default interrupt handlers for each VIC

I can at least avoid the device hanging or random branching.

Can you give me an idea of how you have configured the STR91x

to send all interrupts to the same handler?

charlu
Associate II

Hi, whh1

In fact, i use the code give by mark from AelMicro :

http://mcu.st.com/mcu/modules.php?mop=modload&name=Splatt_Forums&file=viewtopic&topic=4630&forum=21

But I did not use his kernel procedure. I test each peripheral state, and switch in case of.

In addition, as i don't need nested interrupt in my project, i mask IRQ in the IRQ handler. My IRQ handler is :

IRQHandler:

SUB lr,lr,#4 /*Update the link register*/

SaveContext r0,r12 /*Save the workspace plus the current*/

/*return address lr_irq and spsr_irq*/

LDR r0, = MyIrqHandler

NOP

NOP

MSR cpsr_c,#0x1F | I_Bit /*Switch to SYS mode and disnable IRQ*/

STMFD sp!,{lr} /*Save the link register.*/

LDR lr, = IRQ_ReturnAddress /*Read the return address.*/

BX r0 /*MOV pc, r0*/ /*Branch to the IRQ handler.*/

IRQ_ReturnAddress:

LDMFD sp!,{lr} /*Restore the link register.*/

MSR cpsr_c,#0xD2 | I_Bit /*Switch to IRQ mode and disable IRQ*/

LDR r0, = VIC0VECT /*Write to the VectorAddress to clear the*/

STR r0, [r0] /*respective interrupt in the internal interrupt*/

LDR r1, = VIC1VECT /*Write to the VectorAddressDaisy to clear the*/

STR r1,[r1] /*respective interrupt in the internal interrupt*/

RestoreContext r0,r12 /*Restore the context and return to the...*/

/*...program execution.*/

mark9
Associate II

I don't see any mention of a problem with the VIC in the latest errata (may 9, 2007).

http://www.st.com/stonline/products/literature/es/12280.pdf

Are you sure this is a silicon bug?

charlu
Associate II

Hi, lakata.

There is 89 post on interrupt problem on this forum with more than 10000 reader.

But there is no problem.

Just an example : Try to enable too interrupt with a 1ms timer interrupt and uart interupt (use the St/lib - after correct bugs -, the default IRQ handler, and St example for timer and uart interrupt). Now, whithout UART transmition or reception, mask and unmask timer interrupt by using VIC_ITCmd(TIM1_ITLine,ENABLE/DESABLE) as recommended by St. If, in 1 hour, you do not have an unexpected event, I pay you chips at the McDonald's of the corner.

Now, transmit and receive many data by Uart... If you don't have hazardous effects, I pay you a Big Mac at the McDonald's of the corner.