francesco2399
Associate II
Posted on December 10, 2004 at 04:33

8051 DIP40 pin to pin compatible MCU

5 REPLIES 5
francesco2399
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:04

I wonder if there's a DIP40 version of the PSD3200. I am a hobbist and i find hard to use smd packages. What i am looking for is just a 8051 family MCU compatible but produced by ST and with a DIP40 package version available. Can anyone out there help me? Thank you in advance

Francesco

jdaniel
Associate II

Francesco,

I can understand how things are getting harder for hobbyists, but the industry has really left DIPs behind when it comes to microcontrollers and microprocessors (unless you're talking about smallish things like PIC controllers).

Another problem is that there are only two packages of the uPSD3200 series available: 52-pin, and 80-pin, so even if these were offered in a DIP, they certainly wouldn't be pin compatible with a DIP40.

There are ways to get around this package problem, however, for hobbyists and experimenting. For instance, a few companies (Emulation Technologies, Ironwood Electronics, Tokyo Eletech) make adapters to convert from a surface mount package to a ''prototyping'' pinout. Usually this means that they provide 0.1'' spaced pins on the bottom. The difficulty for you is that they will rarely be in a DIP configuration, but rather in a PGA-style footprint. This means that you'd end up using wire-wrap posts and a perf-board for prototyping since these wouldn't work with a solderless breadboard.

A final option is always to make your own PCB, as well. Prices for small prototype PCB's have fallen to the point where one can usually get a 2-layer board with solder mask and silk screen for around $33. If you don't have access to PCB layout software, one particular company (www.expresspcb.com) will even provide you with some to use (which of course can only be used to order boards through their company). They advertise 3 small boards for $51, but I'm sure those boards don't include solder mask and silkscreen.

Hope some of that helps.

francesco2399
Associate II

Could you please just tell me if there are different versions other then PSD3200 that can be pushed at least into a PC socket. Of course among the 8051 compatible processors. I know there are many other companies that still make a dip40 version, Philips for instance but i would like to use a ST chip just because ST is an italian company and since i want to write an article about 8051 in an italian electronic magazine it's just better to refer to an italian ( or at least partially italian ) chip.

Thank you in advance.

Francesco

jdaniel
Associate II

Francesco,

I don't know what a ''PC Socket'' is. But no... there are no thru-hole 8051 chips made by ST.

francesco2399
Associate II

I was meaning PCB Printed circuit board. And the socket is the one used with the chips that have the pins bent under the chip.

I will try to make a special adapter with a special pcb for those chips if it worth it.

Thank you