Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2005 at 13:10

Bank 1 Flash Sector.

7 REPLIES 7
ongth60
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2005 at 12:27

Hi,

Well, before doing a flash write to an address that contains data, do i need to an erase operation?

Or, does it automatically overwrites the previous data before writing to it?

Also, in the flash reference manual, there's nothing mention about word erase or double word erase. There's an option just to do sector erase. What concerns me if what if my sector contains just a word modification where a new word is just to be written to that location only while the rest of the data remains unchanged?

Does that mean that I need to erase the whole sector just to perform a write operation on just a particular word address?

Pls advise.

anis2
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2005 at 13:31

Hi,

- Yes, you can write to an address that contains data but with the following restriction:

==> ''1'' can be updated with ''0'' but it is impossible to update ''0'' with ''1''.

- Concerning the erase operation, only erase sector is available. Therefore, to update just one word, you must erase the whole sector.

Regards.

ongth60
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2005 at 23:27

Hi,

What will happen if during any write or erase operation, the MCU is resetted?

Also, should I disable my interrupts during any flash programming operation?

ongth60
Associate II
Posted on May 13, 2005 at 23:59

What is the time to erase 1 sector as well as the time to perform word and double word flash write operation?

anis2
Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2005 at 06:27

Hi,

- If a reset is happen during a write or an erase operation, the current operation is stopped, so the user must verify the content of the Flash after the reset.

- It is not mandatory to disable the interrupts during any Flash programming operation.

- You can find all the information’s concerning the erase, word write and double word write operations in the STR71x datasheet, in the section Flash electrical characteristics.

Best Regards.

ongth60
Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2005 at 12:08

Hi Bouha,

- If a reset is happen during a write or an erase operation, the current operation is stopped, so the user must verify the content of the Flash after the reset.

Question: How do I verify the content of the Flash is valid or correct?

anis2
Associate II
Posted on May 16, 2005 at 13:10

Hi,

To verify if the content of the Flash is valid or correct, after writing the new data, just read it and compare it to the original data.

Best Regards.