Associate
Posted on April 26, 2005 at 13:09

Getting Started with DK900

2 REPLIES 2
keith1121
Associate
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:06

Hello.

I am brand new to the microprocessor development and I just recieved a DK900 development kit. I don't understand why there is no compiler/assembler included with the product. I found some assemblers and I am trying to write and upload assembly code to simply toggle one of the outputs, but nothing happens when I download it to the board with PSDsoft.

If anyone has any advice on how I can get this board to do something (besides the demos), or can point me in the direction of some decent instructions (not like the ones supplied), I would be VERY greatful.

Thank You.

jdaniel
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:06

dm,

It's fairly common for development kits to ship without a compiler given that the company is primarily in the business of developing hardware. In this case, the board can actually be used with one of two processors, so that's another reason. You don't mention which processor you're using. If you're using an 8051, Intel as well as a number of others (MetaLink / MetaIce for example) offer free assemblers.

A better option for getting your feet wet would be to download a copy of the evaluation version of Keil Software's 8051 tools. This includes a full-featured C compiler, and the only restriction is that your application must be less than 2k with the evaluation version (for getting started, this isn't a big restriction).

As a post-script, the system you're working with is going to be difficult if this is your first microprocessor project. For an 8-bit system, the PSD series of devices provide a very high level of functionality. It involves knowing a fair amount about addressing, paging, memory maps, etc. There will be a much steeper learning curve for you than someone who started with just a simple processor with a small chunk of internal flash and ram.

Hope some of that helps.