cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compiling Linux: Cross Toolchain Required?

dupre
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2005 at 19:40

Compiling Linux: Cross Toolchain Required?

3 REPLIES 3
dupre
Associate II
Posted on June 03, 2005 at 21:11

I know that when compiling on an x86 machine for a different architecture (like ARM or PPC), you need a cross-compile toolchain.

But is is necessary to use a special toolchain to compile a Linux kernel for the STPC using a i686 (or newer) machine? Or do I just have to specify the 486 processor family in config?

Are there any other issues related to compiling Linux for the STPC that I should be aware of? (i.e required patches, or the like)

Thanks!

twitwity
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2005 at 07:30

no you don't have to compile toolchain and library for developing.

if your machine is based on VEGA (i assumed that from your mentioning 'i686' kernel compile option..) the primary concern should be ' how to install base system on your hardware.'

1. vega's core is based upon 'idragon' which you can see at boot time after you install linux on it.

2.pentium pro and i686 or higher cpu option will not work. pentium mmx will work with no problem.

3. RH11 or any redhat graphic install may suffer from sudden system crash while installing this maybe due to x86 server something or anaconda script.

4. if you got the simple PCI video card and PCI slot on your hardware, you can try CRUX. you can have crux for i586 (crux distribution binary is compiled for i686 by default.)

dupre
Associate II
Posted on June 08, 2005 at 19:40

Actually the target is STPC Consumer II/Elite PC-133 BGA (on an Acrosser AR-B1423C PC/104 board).

But since the STPC is a bit slow to compile on, I am using a much faster pentium 4 for the compiling. I am following some documentation I found at LinuxFromScratch.org regarding using i686 class machines to build the OS for slower i386 and i486 hardware. This essentially involves using --host and --target options on the host to make the GNU compiler to think it is working on a i486-pc-linux-GNU machine and to build for an identical target.

I guess what I am asking is if the STPC Consumer II is equivalent to the i486 cpu type and ''pc'' vendor code when it comes to setting up the GNU gcc toolchain.

Has anyone set up a Linux 2.6.x/GNU system on a Consumer II platform and have any advise?

- Joe