isabel_benitez
Associate II
Posted on June 23, 2005 at 10:51

mcu module does not work

7 REPLIES 7
isabel_benitez
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:07

Hello, I have a problem with a uPSD3254 device. My design works ok but I have a card in which nothing in the mcu module works. Someone told me that maybe the device is not programmed ok but everything seems to be ok in the jtag and in the psdsoft.

Any idea?

Thanks.

jdaniel
Associate II

icebell,

Is the crystal / oscillator starting up ok? There are plenty of functions in the PSD portion of things that are independent of the clock, but the MCU module will very likely not work at all if there is no clock source.

isabel_benitez
Associate II

Hello again,

Thank you for your answers but everything is the same than before.

I verify the program everytime I program my application board.

The oscillator seems to be ok but I don´t know if it is ok at starting up, how can I know it?

isabel_benitez
Associate II

Thank you for the idea but I have tested it and I think everything is assambled correctly.

jdaniel
Associate II

All I meant as to ask if the oscillator is outputting the clock frequency you expect and looks stable? If it is, and you've checked that it's programmed correctly, then I'm out of ideas on the simple side.

Have you take a look at the hardware? Was everything assembled correctly? Cold solder joints can be difficult to spot, but can cause failures and intermittent problems. Try wiggling all the pins on the processor with an xacto knife or something (when it's powered down, of course). If any of them moves, tack it down.

isabel_benitez
Associate II

You were right!! I resolder the whole devices and now everything works perfectly. Thank you.

jdaniel
Associate II

icebell,

No problem. If I hadn't seen unsoldered pins (thruhole and otherwise) cause phantom and often randomly occurring problems with my own eyes, I probably wouldn't believe it either. Glad it's working for you now.