Associate II
Posted on November 16, 2008 at 03:56

understanding of debug and release

3 REPLIES 3
janek
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:52

Hi All,

Can anyone point me to the available documentation explaining differences between the debug and release modes as I am trying to have an understanding of it.

On ARM7 no extra resources seems to be needed to be able to debug the code (using J-TAG hardware and corresponding PC software) even if it was compiled for release.

It looks to be different on Cortex-M3 or at least STM32. How big is the extra code, and what does it do exactly?

Am I right?

Regards

Jan

st3
Associate II

Quote:

Can anyone point me to the available documentation explaining differences between the debug and release modes as I am trying to have an understanding of it.

Any difference between ''Debug'' and ''Release'' is just what you make it!

It's nothing to do with the ARM core.

Most toolsets provide the facility for you to make ''Debug'' and ''Release'' versions - but it's entirely up to you how - or, indeed, whether - you use those facilities.

Commonly, ''Debug'' would include additional checking, reporting, diagnostics, etc...

If you are using some 3rd-party software that has ''Debug'' and ''Release'', then you need to consult the specific documentation for that product.

janek
Associate II

Thank you st7,

that is what I though originally.

However after trying evaluation version of IAR I had problems with running any code from the firmware library using release option (it worked OK with debug option) and it got me confused.

That might be related to the comiler definition of DEBUG (builtin?)

conflicting with DEBUG definition within firmware library.

Thanks again.

Jan