Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2005 at 12:47

Datasheet

8 REPLIES 8
gruchet
Associate II
Posted on July 18, 2005 at 18:56

Hello,

I intend to create a board using the STR710xxx and then to develop programs to handle it in programming languages such as Forth or ADA. So I'd like to know if there is a complete datasheet that describes how to use all the registers of the MCU.

Furthermore I'd like to know if some PCB designs are available.

Thanks,

Sébastien Gruchet

hichem2
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2005 at 04:55

Hi Sébastien ,

You can refer to the STR71x Reference Manual and the datasheet on the st.mcu web page for an MCU register detailed descreption and how to use them.

Concerning the PCB file, the design engineer use mentor graphic to developp the board schematic and the provided file can be used only using mentor tools.

Cheers,

Hich :p

gruchet
Associate II
Posted on July 19, 2005 at 11:15

Thanks for your answer.

I used to work with Microchip PIC18F MCU, you can find its datasheet by following this link:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39637a.pdf

That is what I call a datasheet, everything is described...

The reference user manual for STR710 is not so complete, that's why I wondered if there was a document equivalent as Microchip datasheet for the STR710.

Best regard,

Calou

hichem2
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2005 at 06:02

Hi,

Using the STR71x family you have to refer to many document,

Datasheet, Reference Manual, Getting started (Hardware/Software)

- The datasheet provides an STR71x Ordering Information, Mechanical and Electrical Device Characteristics.

- The Ref Man provides a complete information for application developers on how to use the STR71x Microcontroller memory and peripherals.

Best regards,

Hich 😉

scanlon
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2005 at 11:44

Hi Sébastien ,

The documentation is minimal at best in many areas.

We are using the provided C libraries and blind faith to interact with some of the the peripherals, not completely sure of the outcome until we test the operation. There is a lot of trial and error in this approach.

Much of the documentation is vague and appears contradictory. To suggest that the answers are available if you look in the right document is false and misleading. To say that what information there is, is scattered across several documents is more accurate.

I have directed many questions to the FAEs, had some conference calls, been thanked for my questions, have had discussions with a ST ''USB expert'' who insisted on explaining to me how USB really worked until I was able to provide contradictory information from the USB2.0 specification ...

I'm not normally one to rant but I am sure that my frustration is shared by many developers using this chip and I hope that ST is paying attention. First on my list is a legible schematic of the Kickstart board (not the fuzzy jpeg that comes with kit) - that is this mornings struggle.

Ian Scanlon

gruchet
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2005 at 11:58

Hello Ian,

I agree with you, that's a pity that ST doesn't provide a good datasheet. I'm very interested in this chip but I don't know if I will use it if I can't have the needed informations...

That's really pity...

Sébastien

ben2
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2005 at 12:13

I would also agree that the datasheet leaves alot to be desired. I am using the 71x libraries as little as possible. I am having problems with bulk usb transfers using double buffering which I have yet to get to the bottom off. Everything is fine if I dont use double buffering.

Ian - if by the kickstart board you mean the STR710-EVAL board, you can download a pdf of the instruction booklet that comes with it. The circuit diagrams in there can be printed out at A3 if you wish and are quite clear.

boppie
Associate II
Posted on July 20, 2005 at 12:47

I'm with you on this. We chose the 710 as it has a number of I/O capabilities, runs fast and addresses a large memory. We are intending to use this as a system controller and interface on a modular automation system.

In the past, I have worked with Intel from the 8008 up to the 8051 and all of the 8051 variants. I've also used Dallas micros and Microchip.

In all of these processors, there was a good description of the low level opcodes and how they would bear on the hardware. This is something vague - at best with the STR710 documentation that I have seen thus far. As the ARM7DTMI core was listed as an additional reference, I checked that out and was totally snowed. There are so many options which are selected by the integrator of the core (ST Micro) that the document was largely useless to me.

Suffice to say that I am less than pleased with the level of documentation on the STR7.

The only reference design seems to be the STR710-eval board. At $700 (usd) I can't complain too badly but my management would rather design a totally new board than start with a standardized platform.

We did get an IAR kickstart board for the STR712 but it has no EMI capability.

Quote:

On 19-07-2005 at 14:45, Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for your answer.

I used to work with Microchip PIC18F MCU, you can find its datasheet by following this link:

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/DeviceDoc/39637a.pdf

That is what I call a datasheet, everything is described...