ezanen9
Associate II
Posted on August 26, 2005 at 05:19

GNU compiler

22 REPLIES 22
ezanen9
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 06:40

Hi, I am working with the Hitop5 IDE and a HITEX evaluation board. HITOP5 works with a supplied GNU compiler(v3.3.2).

My problem is the following: when I am using the devide sign '' / '' (in the C langue), I recieve a error while compiling my C-langue program. The compile error is:

source/main.c:76: undefined reference to `__divsi3'

I think I found a possible problem. The problem is in the libgcc.a low-level runtime library. The library is not getting properly linked with the project or it is an incorrect version(Am I right here?).

I have tried the multiply sign '' * '' and this works just fine! I tried to solve this problem myself and it kept my busy for two days now. I don't get the problem fixed :(

The version of the GNU compiler is 3.3.2.

Can someoney help me solving this problem. It is driving me nuts!

thanks,

Jimmey

ben2
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 06:54

I think I had similar problems - am using eclipse and gcc 3.4.2.

you need to make sure the path to the library is correct - libgcc.a on my setup is installed in a different directory.

Also can you see just what exactly is being passed on the command line when the compiler is invoked ?

peppecaselli
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 07:22

Hi!,

I do not know well micro that he uses. Perhaps if you write the makefile you must change the option ''-nostdlib'' with

''-nostartfiles''.

ben2
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 07:31

I have just upgraded to version 3.4.3 of the arm tools from gnuarm.org and have no problems. I suspect it is a path issue.

in my makefile I have the following

CFLAGS = -c -O2 -Wall -g -mcpu=arm7tdmi -mlittle-endian -ffunction-sections

LIB_PATH = -L F:/gnu-arm/GNUARM/arm-elf/lib -L f:/gnu-arm/GNUARM/lib/gcc/arm-elf/3.4.3

build_for_flash: $(SOURCE)

$(LD) -o flash.elf $(SOURCE) $(USB_INTERFACE) $(LIBS) $(LIB_PATH) -lc -lgcc -lm -lg -T ./flash.ln --gc-section

this is including libgcc.a

ezanen9
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 07:36

The problem is that I don't know the GNU/GCC compiler very well. I know that the problem is in the library but I don't know were to change the path to it.

Is it paerhaps wise to de-install my 3.3.2 version and upgrade to a higher version?

Thanks,

ben2
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 07:40

It is most likely a setting in your IDE. I doubt there is a problem with the version of gcc you are using.

I am not familiar with the IDE though. I suggest you look for some form of project/library/path settings.

Is it running an external makefile ?

do you get any for of output from the build process ?

ezanen9
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 08:16

Yes I have some setting:project>settings>Compiler toolchain>Tool settings>

Here I can set the default options for Assembler/compiler and the linker. The linker option now say: --cref -t -static -lc -lm --start-group

I don't know what it means. In my project directoy there is a make file but I don't know if it's being used. I deleted the make file and I could still build/rebuild my program even after restarting the IDE.

There are some path options in a .LD file also in the project folder, but I don't know if these are the right options.

The output of the build proces says:

=== Build log ===

arm-elf-gcc.exe -c -gdwarf-2 -MD -mapcs-frame -O0 -mcpu=arm7tdmi -w -mthumb-interwork -I.\source\ -o .\objects\interrupt.o ..\..\..\Software\source\interrupt.c

arm-elf-gcc.exe -c -gdwarf-2 -MD -mapcs-frame -O0 -mcpu=arm7tdmi -w -mthumb-interwork -I.\source\ -o .\objects\main.o .\source\main.c

arm-elf-as.exe -m armv4t -gdwarf2 -mthumb-interwork -o .\objects\startup.o ..\..\..\Software\source\startup.s

arm-elf-ld.exe --cref -t -static -lc -lm -Map=Example.map -o .\objects\Example.elf -T.\objects\Example.ld

objects\main.o(.text+0x6c): In function `ADC_IRQ_isr':

arm-elf-ld: link errors found, deleting executable `.\objects\Example.elf'

arm-elf-ld: mode armelf

objects\startup.o

objects\main.o

objects\interrupt.o

ben2
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 08:22

it looks like it is not including libgcc.a

you need a -lgcc on the linker option

ezanen9
Associate II
Posted on August 23, 2005 at 09:14

I tried that but I don't know if I used the right syntax to include the libgcc.a library.

I put : --cref -t -static -lc -lgcc -lm --start-group in the linker option box. Is this right?

Still having the same error

The buid report says:

=== Build log ===

arm-elf-gcc.exe -c -gdwarf-2 -MD -mapcs-frame -O0 -mcpu=arm7tdmi -w -mthumb-interwork -I.\source\ -o .\objects\interrupt.o ..\..\..\Software\source\interrupt.c

arm-elf-gcc.exe -c -gdwarf-2 -MD -mapcs-frame -O0 -mcpu=arm7tdmi -w -mthumb-interwork -I.\source\ -o .\objects\main.o .\source\main.c

arm-elf-as.exe -m armv4t -gdwarf2 -mthumb-interwork -o .\objects\startup.o ..\..\..\Software\source\startup.s

arm-elf-ld.exe --cref -t -static -lc -lm -Map=Example.map -o .\objects\Example.elf -T.\objects\Example.ld

objects\main.o(.text+0x6c): In function `ADC_IRQ_isr':

arm-elf-ld: link errors found, deleting executable `.\objects\Example.elf'

arm-elf-ld: mode armelf

objects\startup.o

objects\main.o

objects\interrupt.o

Here you can see that the linker still uses arm --cref -t -static -lc -lm -Map without the lgcc library I added in the option box.

By the way, how does the linker know the path of the libgcc.a library?