Associate II
Posted on December 12, 2005 at 09:41

Problems getting started with DK3400 development board

6 REPLIES 6
redmonds
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:08

Dear all,

I have a DK3400 development kit, but I am having problems ''getting started''. I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have changed the jumper settings to match those specified on page 3 of ''Quick-start Guide for the Turbo+uPSD DK3400 Development Kit-RIDE''.

When I connect the eRlink USB plug to my PC, I get 1 red (LD2) and 2 green LEDs (LD1, LD3) on the development board which quickly becomes just 2 green leds (LD1, LD3). My PC appears to recognise a connected USB device. In the Device Manager, I can see ''RLink USB'' under ''Jungo''.

I've fired up Raissonance IDE and built the code.

But when I hit the ''Start'' button on the toolbar, I see ''Initializing the Emulator'' followed by ''Downloading code'' which very quickly gets overlaid by a MessageBox titled ''RDI Driver Error (STD)'' that says ''Unable to read device ID for checking. Please check that the device is correctly connected through the JTAG port.''

Needless to say, I have checked the connections and the USB port on my PC.

I can't get any further than this.

Does anyone else have a DK3400 who can

* confirm that what I am seeing is the expected behaviour,

* suggest what I am doing wrong or

* suggest additional troubleshooting actions that I can take?

Thanks,

Richard

redmonds
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:09

Quote:

When I connect the eRlink USB plug to my PC, I get 1 red (LD2) and 2 green LEDs (LD1, LD3) on the development board which quickly becomes just 2 green leds (LD1, LD3).

When I hit the ''Start'' button on the RIDE toolbar, LD3 flickers and then goes off.

It comes back on when I click OK on the ''RDI Driver Error (STD)'' MessageBox.

Any help?

vincentchoplin9
Associate II

Hi,

Basically, this message means that the RLink cannot communicate at all with the target CPU.

From what you say, I think that the communication between the PC and RLink is OK, but please confirm this by going in the advanced debugging options and reading the RLink's Serial Number.

Then, please confirm that the target CPU is powered. It can NOT be powered by the RLink's USB, so you must use the other USB port or the external power.

If neither of these two points are the source of the error, then my guess is that your jumpers are not set correctly, or that something interferes with one of the JTAG signals.

Best Regards,

Vincent

redmonds
Associate II

Hi Vincent,

Thank you for responding so quickly.

With both eRlink and uPSD USB connected, I do Options | Debug from the toolbar menu. In the Debug Options dialog, ''Real Machine (Emulator or ROM-Monitor)'' is selected and ''RLINK-ST-uPSD'' is chosen. I click ''Advanced Options'' and then ''Connect to RLink'' and I get a ''uPSD driver'' MessageBox that says ''Successful connection to RLink: Serial Number: dngSTpsde000097 Firmware Version: 0.0.2''.

If I click ''Connect to target'', I get a uPSD driver MessageBox that says ''Unable to read device ID for checking. Please check that the device is correctly connected through the JTAG port.''

Jumpers are set according to page 3 of ''Quick-start Guide for the Turbo+uPSD DK3400 Development Kit-RIDE''.

JP1 closed

JP2 open

JP3 closed

JP4 1<->2

JP5 2<->3

JP6 closed

JP7 1<->2

JP8 closed

JP9 closed

JP10 closed

JP11 open

JP12 1<->3, 2<->4

If I connect the wallplug power supply and switch the big SW1 on, something near the green wire starts to get too hot and the LEDs only glow dimly. D5 comes on, but D6 is incredibly dim.

During the 5 or so seconds that I dare to power it in this way, I have measured some voltages at the test points.

VCC1 is 2.8V and falling.

VCC2 is 0.14V.

VCC3 is 0.8V and falling.

I measure 740mA being drawn by the board from the power supply. This can't be right, can it?

Thanks again for your help. It is important to me to resolve this as quickly as possible.

Richard

oliver239955_stm1
Associate II

Hi @ all,

I`ve also got same problems regarding getting started with DK3400 using eRlink-Debugger. I got the same error message: ''RDI Driver Error (STD)''. But to shorten the trouble now I`m using the Keil uLink-Debugger, which was included as a seperate adapter in the DK3400 package and it works well. For using Keil you have to change few Jumpers as already described in the User Manual ''UM0131'' (to find on the ST Install CD).

But if you have found the problem of the eRlink configuration I would like to get a short info for your solution.

Bye bye.

Oliver

redmonds
Associate II

Hi Oliver,

In my case, the problem was faulty hardware. The clues were the LEDs and the confirmation was measuring the power supply rails. The LTC3455 Power Management chip had failed. The guys at ST did an excellent job of providing me with a replacement DK3400 unit which works fine.

Your problem sounds slightly different as you are at least able to make the uLink connection work. But it might be related to power supplys and it might be worth checking the LEDs and supply rails just in case.

Richard