Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2006 at 05:07

running from RAM using RIDE (gnu)

2 REPLIES 2
asaf2
Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2006 at 04:41

Hello,

Does anyone knows how to convert the original scatter file to RIDE format ?

I am trying to run some of the STR711 code from the RAM in order to build a boot loader.

vincentchoplin9
Associate II
Posted on February 06, 2006 at 05:07

Hi,

I assume that what you call the scatter file is the linker script. (the .ld file) Is this correct?

If yes, then here are the two ways of using it:

1. Use the automatic script from RIDE. This is the default setting. RIDE will generate a linker script file according to your Target options (derivative and FLASH/RAM option). click ''Options''->''Target'' and choose your target device. Then, select the ''Options'' tab and select FLASH or RAM. Look at the examples in c:\ride\examples\STR7. They all use this mode.

2. Or you can use your own linker script. This option is only for advanced GNU users. Click ''Options''->''Project''->''LD-ARM''. Uncheck the ''Linker Script''->''Use Default'' checkbox, and enter the name of your script file. Note that for debugging, RIDE has to know the device and the boot mode. So you still need to select the correct device and boot mode in the target options, even when you use your own linker script.

My advice for beginners is to start playing with the debugger using one of the examples. Then, try and modify the example. Then, duplicate the example and put your own source files in it. Then, you can start creating projects from scratch.

If you need more information, just have a look at the documentation: click ''help''->''PDF''->''STR7-Tools''->''GettingStarted STR7''. Chapter 2 describes the integration of the GNU tools in RIDE.

Or you can contact our support team at ''support@raisonance.com''.

I hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Vincent

[ This message was edited by: VincentC on 06-02-2006 09:40 ]