cosmapa
Associate II
Posted on July 27, 2009 at 14:28

Mini Basic/Jumentum for STM32

12 REPLIES 12
cosmapa
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 13:16

For our project, I want to add a small resident Basic interpreter to allow users to write their own extensions.

I found this open source Basic interpretter that is currently running on the NXP part.

http://jumentum.sourceforge.net/

It looks very complete (even has Ethernet support) and a very small footprint (as little as 20K flash).

Porting doesnt look like it would be complicated.

If anyone is interrested, please respond to this thread so that we could possibly form a group sharring the effort.

Thanks

Cosmapa

info144
Associate

Dear Cosmapa,

we also think about ''custom specific '' extensions , written in basic.

I had a brief look at the project, for my opinion it seems to be a bit overpowered( in the moment ) for our project.

We try to work with a high school concerning basic interpreter written in C.

In any case we should try to share work.

Our basic goal is to get it run without any extensions as ethernet....

Just to understand how it works and make a framework to command/function extensions.

With best regards,

max

cosmapa
Associate II

Max,

This code also looks too complicated for my needs but it looks like it can be reduced a lot by eliminating many compile options. I also found that it has two possible syntax for the Basic commands: one long, and one short so that the user scripts take less space in flash. The editor also an option that will reduce the code size if removed (there is a Windows GUI to my project and the editor would be hosted thre).

I think it is workth a look and I will keep you informed of any progress.

A C interpretter would be nice too. Please let me know if you have something to show & share.

Thanks

cosmapa
Associate II

I am looking for something that would take no more than 10-20K of flash. I read ''Under Linux, the Lua interpreter built with all standard Lua libraries takes 153K and the Lua library takes 203K''. I'll investigate further, however. Thanks for the suggestion.

trevor1
Associate II

Have you considered Lua as a scripting language?

www.lua.org

ccowdery9
Associate III

If you are considering Lua, why not BrandyBasic:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/brandy/

I have a part-finished port for STM32 (it works in text mode, i.e. no graphics, and the console is serial). However, it does use the EFSL library and SD cards so you can load / save (it is a bit buggy though).

I have also hooked a couple of system calls up (to allow BASIC to access some of my hardware)

It is a very comprehensive basic interpreter too as it's a clone of BBC BASIC V.

Chris.

ccowdery9
Associate III

193Kbyte object file size.

Chris.

cosmapa
Associate II

BandyBasic looks good. TXT-only and serial console is all I need. How big is it when compiled for STM32? can you share the code?

ccowdery9
Associate III

193K when compiled for STM32. There's probably some rubbish in it that can be stripped out (my hardware has an LCD and battery charger which you wouldn't need for example).

The project is built using IDEaliST.

I guess it could be shared, it's all a mixture of GPL stuff.

Chris.