Associate II
Posted on March 06, 2006 at 07:12

eeprom emulation

2 REPLIES 2
sreeram
Associate II
Posted on March 06, 2006 at 01:49

I am trying to emulate EEPROM in internal Flash of ST10 F

There is an application note AN2061 about EEPROM emulation.

The application note says that the number of Program/erase cycles depend on the number of copies of data sets maintained in Flash. Which is correct. It also says that the status of data sets and sector status data can be stored in Flash. In this case I have a doubt. If the status data is written in the same location again and again, doesnt it add up as program cycles? For example, if the sector status can take 4 different values per erase cycle during program execution, doesnt the total number of expected program cycles get divided by 4? I mean the chances of the cell containing the sector status getting damages is more, isnt it?

Please give your comments on the same. The application note is attached ( Refer section 3 ).

Attachments :

AN2061_EEPROM_Emulation.pdf : https://st--c.eu10.content.force.com/sfc/dist/version/download/?oid=00Db0000000YtG6&ids=0680X000006I0FA&d=%2Fa%2F0X0000000bYd%2FpP.VILNIeE7xQqh1jfntQyRMMxSXD11.z.hRVe28p_o&asPdf=false
maxime2399
Associate II
Posted on March 06, 2006 at 07:12

Practically, each individual bit can be written only once because when written, it need to be erased to be written again.

The flash controller will not overwrite bits that are already written.

In the same cycle you can then program each bit individually (that means up to 32 writes) for only one erase.

For flash technology, the stressing part of the cycle is the erase part and not the programming part.