Associate II
Posted on June 09, 2009 at 08:24

Interrupt priority grouping field, NVIC_PriorityGroup

4 REPLIES 4
obogush
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:16

Hi,

The description and number of NVIC_PriorityGroup constants in the firmware library does not match the PRIGROUP field description in the Cortexâ„¢-M3 Technical Reference Manual.

Is there a bug?

Thanks,

Olek

16-32micros
Associate III

Dear olek ,

Could you give more details what do you mean by does not match ?

The Cortexâ„¢-M3 Technical Reference Manual is a generic document from ARM implementing up to 241 external Interrupts in the micro & up to 8-bits of priorities.

In STM32F10x we have 43 external interrupts (different from the Cortex-M3 core) and only 16 levels (4-bit) of priorities are implemented. Which is enough to handle all the Interrupts priorities levels.

Implementing all bits is a waisting of the silicon area. 😉

Regards,

STOne-32.

obogush
Associate II

Dear STOne-32,

Thank you very much for your clarification. It is exactly what I was looking for. The UM0306 manual actually states that there are 16 programmable priority levels. However, it does not mention that only values from 7 to 3 are accepted by the PRIGROUP field in the Application Interrupt and Reset Control Register due to this limitation.

Thank you again.

Best regards,

Olek

artur2
Associate II

Hi,

At least for me it was a little confusing that ST naming (in that matter) is opposite to ''official'' ARM naming.

I mean that ST names priority group using number of bits assigned for preempt priority field and ARM uses names coming from exact value of PRIGROUP.

ST:

NVIC_PriorityGroup_0 - 0 bits for pre-emption priority 4 bits for subpriority, defined value of PRIGROUP 7

ARM:

PRIGROUP 7 - 0.8 indicates no pre-emption priority, eight bits of subpriority

Descriptions match but their names not.

Regards,