dmayo
Associate II
Posted on March 08, 2006 at 15:34

ST Visual Develop Help, Please

4 REPLIES 4
dmayo
Associate II
Posted on March 07, 2006 at 18:25

Hi, I have a Metrowerks C project for an ST72F321R9 processor. I am using a EMU3 Probe thru a ST Microconnect emulator to debug code on the board.

I am having trouble getting the ST Visual Develop program running.

I am not compiling my code inside Visual Develop and simply want to import my binary (S19 file?) and the symbols file (map file?) into Visual Develop and kick off debugging.

I know I am connected to the target properly as I can adjust specific port registers via Visual Develop and cause a LED to toggle states.

I have Setup my S19 file in the Project->Settings, debug tab under the ''Executable for debug session'' and have set the ''Debug working folder'' to that path. When I click Ok from the settings dialog it attempts to load my S19 file (which I think it does successfully??) and then it says it has an error opening up my .map file (''error: ''y:/hhmt.map'':can't read symbols: file format not recognized)

Why am I getting that error?

My first thought is that ''y:/hhmt.map'' is not a valid file/path; the correct path and file should be ''y:\hhmt.map'' (note the slash direction difference) But I can't figure out how to change that.

How can I simply load my map file, binary file (and whatever else I need) so that I can debug my code without having to compile the whole project via Visual Develop?

Please help!

Thanks!

sjo
Associate II
Posted on March 08, 2006 at 05:35

Its been a while since i used metrorerks but don't you use the dwarf output to debug not the s19 ?

This would normally be project.abs

Regards

sjo

dmayo
Associate II
Posted on March 08, 2006 at 10:27

Yes, I think that's correct. Using the 'dwarf output' (where is that documented anyway?) Seems to get the debug function going a little further (such as I get to the MCU dialog)

I STILL NEED HELP THOUGH!

What am I doing wrong?

I have some rather simple code: inside Main() initialize some ports, and after initializing simply flash an LED. (This is the same LED that I can turn on by modifing the peripheral registers thru the debugger)

For starters the code doesn't do anything when I hit the Debug->Run option after starting the debugger. In fact, if I stop the debugger, place a break point on one of the first lines within Main(); Run never stops or I get an error: ''Error: non existent memoy at address 0x006f'' urgh.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

dmayo
Associate II
Posted on March 08, 2006 at 15:34

As I said in the other post and this one, I guess I had two problems:

1) I was using the .s19 and should have been using the .abs

2) I didn't have the Visual Develop project in the same folder as my .abs file.

Fixing those two things and all was well.