Associate II
Posted on November 25, 2008 at 04:43

Timer 3 with external clock

4 REPLIES 4
amir_e
Associate II
Posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:53

Hi,

I'm trying to configure TIM3 to work with an external clock source through channel 3 - Port B.0.

i noticed that when i use the SPI channels which reside on ports A.6 and A.7, this causes TIM3 to upcount.

i assume that this phenomena is due to the fact that the SPI ports (ports A.6 and A.7) share the same ports with TIM3 channels 1 and 2. so maybe this affects the counter.

is this correct? if so, how can i prevent the SPI to trigger TIM3 upcount?

jj
Associate II

Hi Amir,

Interesting - your findings do not appear on any STM errata. We use the newest, smallest devices but have the same pins/functions available. Awaiting new pcb spin - will experiment & report.

If you post your set-up code we can review - is it possible for you to strictly disable the A.6 & A.7 timer function? Like you - we expect that B.0 (Tim3, Ch3) should not be triggered by A.6 & A.7.

amir_e
Associate II

Hi,

find my setting below:

===================================================================

TIM_DeInit(TIM3);

TIM_ETRClockMode1Config(TIM3,TIM_ExtTRGPSC_OFF,

TIM_ExtTRGPolarity_NonInverted,0x00);

/* Select the TIM3 Input Trigger: */

TIM_SelectInputTrigger(TIM3,TIM_TS_TI1FP1);

//Set Ch1-3 to input 1

TIM_SelectHallSensor(TIM3,ENABLE);

TIM_UpdateDisableConfig(TIM3,ENABLE);

TIM_ITConfig(TIM3,TIM_IT_Update,ENABLE);

/* Time base configuration */

TIM_TimeBaseStructure.TIM_Period = dw_event_per_count>>2

TIM_TimeBaseStructure.TIM_Prescaler = 3;

TIM_TimeBaseStructure.TIM_ClockDivision = 0;

TIM_TimeBaseStructure.TIM_CounterMode = TIM_CounterMode_Up;

TIM_TimeBaseInit(TIM3, &TIM_TimeBaseStructure);

jj
Associate II

Spent several hours reviewing RM0008 - believe that this is the best (perhaps only) means to invoke only one of multiple functions from a select pin:

/* Enable peripheral clocks ------------------------------------------*/

/* GPIOA, GPIOB and SPI1 clock enable */

RCC_APB2PeriphClockCmd(RCC_APB2Periph_GPIOA | RCC_APB2Periph_GPIOB |

RCC_APB2Periph_SPI1, ENABLE);

You can enable/disable a peripheral via the above mechanism. (SPI1 - shown - which shares PA6,7 with TIM3)

Suggest that you disable SPI1 temporarily - and see if the extra counts continue. This should reveal one method of attack.

Further: RM0008 - 13.4.2 TIMx_CR2 reveals how you can disable TIM3_CH1. Oddly - there is no way (that I can see) to disable TIM3_CH1 & TIM3_CH2 - you can only disable CH1 and/or CH1, CH2 & CH3! There is a selection marked ''no use'' - I don't grasp this - perhaps you can experiment & report.

If disabling SPI1 ''cures'' your issue perhaps you must selectively enable it - possibly disabling TIM3 when SPI1 is enabled.

Maybe others have experience and can contribute...